Aston Martin to have largest racing contingent yet in 2014; Bruno Senna to drive 24 Hours of Le Mans
Mar 12, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
James Bond’s career is one that has been built upon endurance.
That’s why it’s not surprising Bond’s favorite car manufacturer, Aston Martin, is expanding its sports car racing footprint in 2014, the 10th anniversary of its racing division.
According to MotorAuthority.com, the fabled English car maker will engage in its largest and farthest-reaching motorsports program in the company’s history this year.
As has been the case in recent years, Aston Martin (AM) will be a significant player in the World Endurance Championship GT class, with four full-time teams piloting AM V8 Vantage GTEs.
But the AM contingent will nearly double when it comes time for the 24 Hours of Le Mans, when seven cars are expected to compete in the grueling day and night event. One of those cars will be driven by Bruno Senna, nephew of the late Ayrton Senna.
Aston Martin will also campaign a V12 Vantage GT3 at Nurburgring’s 24 Hours, Belgium’s Spar 24 Hours and at Silverstone as part of the Blancpain Endurance Series.
And in a first for the manufacturer, a seven-race North American-based series called the Aston Martin GT4 Challenge will be held, starting next month at Road Atlanta, in conjunction with The Racers Group.
The European version of the GT4 Challenge will also continue and enters its fourth season.
Drivers in the Aston Martin stable, according to MotorAuthority.com, will include Darren Turner, Stefan Mücke and Pedro Lamy, as well as WEC series newcomers Fernando Rees, Alex MacDowall, Darryl O’Young, David Heinemeier-Hansson, Kristian Poulsen, Christoffer Nygaard, Nicki Thiim and Paul Dalla Lana.
Check out the company’s 2014 racing promotional video below.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52