Mar 12, 2014, 4:09 PM EDT
The 2013 Indy Lights runner-up will be back for an encore campaign in the championship.
Belardi Auto Racing has confirmed Gabby Chaves as the team’s second driver for the 2014 Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires season, alongside rookie Alexandre Baron. Chaves won his first race in 2013 at Mid-Ohio and finished second to Schmidt Peterson Motorsports teammate Sage Karam in the championship.
“They have the motivation and desire to win, which is the most important thing, and they have the crew and the cars to get the job done,” Chaves said in a release. “I can’t thank Brian Belardi and the whole team enough for this great opportunity they are giving me and the trust they have placed in me, as well as my sponsors Marca Colombia and Coldeportes for their continued support. I look forward to a great season, winning many races, and the Indy Lights championship this year.”
Chaves is racing in this weekend’s TUDOR United SportsCar Championship Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring with DeltaWing Racing Cars, in the unique DeltaWing DWC13 Elan-powered coupe.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 2
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 14
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0