Mar 13, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Alex Tagliani, the 2011 Indianapolis 500 pole sitter, will have a new opportunity for this year’s month of May in the second Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing entry.
Tagliani will drive the team’s No. 68 SFHR/RW Dallara/Honda/Firestone for the Indianapolis 500. And for teammate Josef Newgarden, it’s a huge get, because it will mark the first time the young Nashville native will have a veteran in the team’s second car (Bryan Clauson in 2012 Indianapolis 500 and Lucas Luhr in 2013 Sonoma race were each making their series debuts).
“It has always been our goal at SFHR to hire talent for credentials, and I am excited to have that opportunity again to include Tag in our Indianapolis 500 lineup, alongside Josef,” SFHR co-owner Sarah Fisher said in a release. “Wink has helped us bring the proper individuals together to provide a solidly prepared effort toward success at Indy. We continue to have the support of the RW Motorsports founder, Steve Weirich, for this second program and are looking forward to building on to this second entry even further during the second half of the season.”
Added Tagliani, “I need to really thank Sarah and Wink for this chance to go back to Indianapolis to win this race. It’s been a pleasure working with them. This has the potential to develop into a longer association because I really love what this team is about. You couldn’t ask for a better team to attack the ‘500.’ They have the ability to surprise a lot of people! I’m looking forward to working with Josef and trying to help SFHR win the big one.”
This is the fourth extra Honda added for the ‘500, along with Martin Plowman, Jacques Villeneuve and Kurt Busch. That brings Honda’s confirmed number of engines for the race up to 17, as beyond the four Indy-only cars, Oriol Servia’s second Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing car has been added for four races.
The separate, crowd-funded Cutters RT effort, if it materializes, would be an additional entry that SFHR would run.
Tagliani is in action this weekend at the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship’s Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring, driving with Chris Cumming and Rusty Mitchell in RSR Racing’s No. 08 ORECA FLM09 PC car.
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 2
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 2
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 1
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 13
- DiZinno: Justin Wilson’s enduring legacy, positive spirit loom as large as his frame 2