Mar 13, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Last weekend, Paul Menard was due to have Matt Crafton on standby in case Menard’s wife gave birth on Sunday in Las Vegas. That didn’t happen, and Menard raced to his best finish in two years, with third place.
Now Matt Kenseth may be next in line if his wife, Katie, gives birth to the couple’s third girl.
Per Motor Racing Network, if Kenseth has to leave Bristol Motor Speedway this weekend, two drivers would be available on standby.
Sam Hornish Jr., who’s contracted to race seven NASCAR Nationwide Series races in Joe Gibbs Racing’s No. 54 Toyota Camry, would take over Kenseth’s Nationwide JGR car.
Kenseth, if he has to leave, would miss the opportunity for another dust-up with Jeff Gordon in Bristol.
And Menard’s wife, as it stands now, hasn’t yet given birth to their new child as of Wednesday afternoon.
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0
- Rosberg tops FP1 at Silverstone after gearbox change 0
- NHRA: Tony Pedregon hopes to keep momentum going in Norwalk 0
- NHRA: New president Peter Clifford full of ideas to get drag racing back on-track 10
- Ryan Briscoe making most of filling in for James Hinchcliffe 1