Mar 13, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Last weekend, Paul Menard was due to have Matt Crafton on standby in case Menard’s wife gave birth on Sunday in Las Vegas. That didn’t happen, and Menard raced to his best finish in two years, with third place.
Now Matt Kenseth may be next in line if his wife, Katie, gives birth to the couple’s third girl.
Per Motor Racing Network, if Kenseth has to leave Bristol Motor Speedway this weekend, two drivers would be available on standby.
Sam Hornish Jr., who’s contracted to race seven NASCAR Nationwide Series races in Joe Gibbs Racing’s No. 54 Toyota Camry, would take over Kenseth’s Nationwide JGR car.
Kenseth, if he has to leave, would miss the opportunity for another dust-up with Jeff Gordon in Bristol.
And Menard’s wife, as it stands now, hasn’t yet given birth to their new child as of Wednesday afternoon.
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 1
- Force India confirms Sergio Perez on multi-year deal 1
- Nico Rosberg rallies to pole position in Abu Dhabi 0
- Rosberg closes out Abu Dhabi practice fastest 1
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Jimmie Johnson: Kevin Harvick winning Sprint Cup title was “the right thing” 21