So long, Avenger: Dodge Dart to make highly-anticipated NHRA Pro Stock debut at this weekend’s Gatornationals
Mar 13, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
After back-to-back Pro Stock championships in 2012 and 2013, a Mopar-record 27 national event wins and 28 No. 1 qualifying positions, the Dodge Avenger is on its way out in the NHRA Pro Stock class.
Two of the class’s top teams, five-time and defending PS champ Jeg Coughlin Jr. and former PS champ Allen Johnson will debut brand new HEMI-powered 2014 Dodge Darts in this weekend’s Amalie Motor Oil NHRA Gatornationals in Gainesville, Fla.
While Dodge as a company dropped out of NASCAR after the 2012 season, the company and its Mopar brand is still very strong in the two-lane blacktop series, with several Charger R/Ts in Funny Car and Dodge Challengers in the Sportsman class.
With the Dart, Chrysler Group LLC worked hand-in-hand with Johnson, Coughlin and other Pro Stock drivers to develop a state-of-the-art ride that promises to be as competitive – if not more so – than the four-door Avenger, which became one of the most competitive rides on the NHRA PS circuit during its tenure.
While Johnson and Coughlin will debut their new cars this weekend, other drivers will join the Dart club in the coming races, including Vieri Gaines (also known as V. Gaines), who is closing in on the completion of his new ride.
“We are very excited to launch the Dodge Dart, and along with our Mopar fans, to see what Allen (Johnson) and Jeg (Coughlin Jr.) can accomplish with this new vehicle as they vie for a third championship in the high-performance and ultra-competitive Pro Stock division,” said Pietro Gorlier, President and CEO of Mopar, Chrysler Group’s service, parts and customer-care brand. “The new Dart is a testament of how Mopar uses the motorsports program as a technological proving ground with Chrysler’s own leading-edge technology and production processes. We have great expectations for its on-track success.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 1
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 2
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 1
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 9
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1