Mar 14, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
There’s been a bevy of news and notes down at Sebring this week, where drivers from several series collide to compete in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship’s Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring.
- The pole by Action Express Racing’s Corvette DP for Saturday’s race ended a string of four straight practice sessions led by Ford EcoBoost-powered Rileys, three of which saw Chip Ganassi Racing on top with Justin Wilson and Michael Shank Racing the fourth.
- A heavy Verizon IndyCar Series contingent is present this week. Seven 2014 full-season IndyCar drivers in Wilson, Scott Dixon, Tony Kanaan, Ryan Briscoe, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Sebastien Bourdais, Simon Pagenaud are on the grid, and more than a dozen others with either past IndyCar or Indy Lights series experience are also in the field.
- Various entry list changes have taken place throughout the week, primarily in the GT Daytona class, where an up-to-four driver lineup was allowed. In that instance, a combination of two Platinum/Gold and two Silver/Bronze-rated drivers could be allowed. With three drivers, only one Platinum/Gold would be eligible.
- Stevenson Motorsports (GS, Camaro Z/28.R, Andrew Davis and Robin Liddell) and Freedom Autosport (ST, Mazda MX-5, Randy Pobst and Andrew Carbonell) took the wins in the second round of the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge on Friday.
- Chevrolet (new IMSA automotive partner) and Hertz (partnership with Porsche) confirmed their relationships this week. There was also an IMSA Green announcement held Friday.
- The Sebring Hall of Fame inducted five new members, in Bob Tullius, Wayne Taylor, Vic Elford, Peter Gregg and Brumos Racing. A lunch celebration was held Friday.
- As written in this separate post, Indy Lights rookie Matthew Brabham was awarded the Gorsline Scholarship on Thursday.
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 0
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 0
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 1
- Hamilton delighted after claiming 40th career pole (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tames wet conditions to grab pole in Malaysia 1
- Rosberg closes out Malaysian GP practice fastest 0
- NHRA: Rain washes out Friday’s first two rounds of qualifying four 4-Wide Nationals 3