Mar 14, 2014, 1:32 PM EDT
Schmidt Peterson Motorsports has confirmed its third of likely four drivers for the 2014 Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires campaign.
The team has signed 21-year-old Colombian Juan Piedrahita, and he’ll join teammates Jack Harvey and Juan Pablo Garcia. Ex-GP2 driver Luiz Razia has also tested for the team throughout this winter.
Piedrahita has spent two years in Pro Mazda and a year in USF2000 before that, so he moves up to Indy Lights with three years already under his belt in the Mazda Road to Indy ladder.
“After two successful full seasons in Pro Mazda, I feel that I’m ready to take another step and race in Indy Lights,” Piedrahita said in a team release. “And it doesn’t get any better than to take this big step with a championship-winning team like Schmidt Peterson Motorsports!”
The season kicks off alongside the Verizon IndyCar Series at St. Petersburg the weekend of March 28-30.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 1
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 3
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2