Mar 14, 2014, 1:32 PM EDT
Schmidt Peterson Motorsports has confirmed its third of likely four drivers for the 2014 Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires campaign.
The team has signed 21-year-old Colombian Juan Piedrahita, and he’ll join teammates Jack Harvey and Juan Pablo Garcia. Ex-GP2 driver Luiz Razia has also tested for the team throughout this winter.
Piedrahita has spent two years in Pro Mazda and a year in USF2000 before that, so he moves up to Indy Lights with three years already under his belt in the Mazda Road to Indy ladder.
“After two successful full seasons in Pro Mazda, I feel that I’m ready to take another step and race in Indy Lights,” Piedrahita said in a team release. “And it doesn’t get any better than to take this big step with a championship-winning team like Schmidt Peterson Motorsports!”
The season kicks off alongside the Verizon IndyCar Series at St. Petersburg the weekend of March 28-30.
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0
- Hinchcliffe released from hospital, expected to make full recovery (VIDEO) 3
- Fast Facts: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit 0
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 4
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 5