Mar 14, 2014, 1:20 AM EST
Heading into this weekend’s Australian Grand Prix, the majority of F1 experts were tipping Mercedes to be the team to beat and dominate every session. Red Bull’s team principal Christian Horner even went as far to say that the team could lap the field twice.
However, the first practice session was a very different story for the German team. After just five minutes of running and half a lap completed, Lewis Hamilton – the championship favorite – came to a stop on the exit of turn ten and was forced to abandon his W05 car. His session ended there and then due to an oil pressure sensor problem, and Mercedes all of a sudden was in a fluster. The team to beat had lost ground.
Instead, it was Fernando Alonso who topped the timesheets ahead of Jenson Button and the two Williams drivers. Although it was only the first session of the race weekend, it was interesting to see how much had changed since Bahrain. Most notably, Red Bull appears to have made a step forward, with Daniel Ricciardo and Sebastian Vettel both finishing inside the top ten.
FP2 begins at 1:30am ET and is live on NBCSN and Live Extra. CLICK HERE to watch the live stream and see if Mercedes can bounce back from this disappointment and show its true colors in the second practice session.
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 0
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0