Mar 14, 2014, 1:20 AM EST
Heading into this weekend’s Australian Grand Prix, the majority of F1 experts were tipping Mercedes to be the team to beat and dominate every session. Red Bull’s team principal Christian Horner even went as far to say that the team could lap the field twice.
However, the first practice session was a very different story for the German team. After just five minutes of running and half a lap completed, Lewis Hamilton – the championship favorite – came to a stop on the exit of turn ten and was forced to abandon his W05 car. His session ended there and then due to an oil pressure sensor problem, and Mercedes all of a sudden was in a fluster. The team to beat had lost ground.
Instead, it was Fernando Alonso who topped the timesheets ahead of Jenson Button and the two Williams drivers. Although it was only the first session of the race weekend, it was interesting to see how much had changed since Bahrain. Most notably, Red Bull appears to have made a step forward, with Daniel Ricciardo and Sebastian Vettel both finishing inside the top ten.
FP2 begins at 1:30am ET and is live on NBCSN and Live Extra. CLICK HERE to watch the live stream and see if Mercedes can bounce back from this disappointment and show its true colors in the second practice session.
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 1
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1