Mar 15, 2014, 5:30 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has expressed his happiness with the Mercedes W05 car after claiming pole position for the Australian Grand Prix on Saturday.
Hamilton was an ever-present force throughout qualifying at Albert Park today, and he appeared to be embroiled in a tussle with teammate Nico Rosberg for pole position in Q3 as the two drivers traded fastest lap times. However, Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo flourished in the wet conditions and appeared to have done enough to claim pole on home soil, only for Hamilton to better his lap seconds later and snatch P1 away.
“It’s the first time I’ve driven the car on the limit in the wet, but it felt great and I’m so happy with the job the team has done,” Hamilton explained. “To be on pole here today is a fantastic result for us. It was great fun and I’m really looking forward to the race tomorrow. It’s going to be tough, but we’ll do our best and see what happens.”
The result marks the 100th pole position for a Mercedes-powered car in Formula 1, and Hamilton felt some pride to have been the driver to achieve this feat.
“I am very proud to have scored pole number 100 for Mercedes-Benz in Formula 1,” he said. “I have only driven with Mercedes power since my debut in 2007 and the whole Mercedes team has done an incredible job meeting the challenge of these new rules.”
Hamilton will be chasing his second Australian Grand Prix victory on Sunday, having won the race back in his championship year of 2008. However, the Briton will be aware of a challenge from Ricciardo and Rosberg from second and third respectively, whilst the reliability of the Mercedes W05 car will also be a cause for concern following a stoppage in FP1 on Friday.
- 2015 Italian Grand Prix Preview 0
- James Hinchcliffe on the comeback trail for IndyCar driving return 0
- Bottas and Massa to remain with Williams for 2016 0
- Here are your TV times for this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- James Hinchcliffe describes how inspired he was by Justin Wilson 1
- Dixon: “I don’t think anybody had a stellar season” 13
- Watkins Glen, Baltimore stand out for Stefan Wilson’s favorite race memories of brother Justin 2