Mar 15, 2014, 1:45 AM EDT
Qualifying for the season-opening Australian Grand Prix is set to get underway at 2am ET LIVE on NBCSN and Live Extra. CLICK HERE to tune in via live stream.
Having dominated much of winter testing, it came as little surprise that Mercedes drivers Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg both set the pace during practice. The German driver closed out the final session fastest on Saturday afternoon, putting him in good stead to take the fight for pole to his teammate later on today.
However, the Silver Arrows have not had it all their own way. On Friday, Hamilton’s W05 stopped out on track after just five minutes of the session due to an oil pressure sensor issue. Although the team is confident that the problem won’t recur during qualifying or the race, the reliability of the car could stunt any hopes of a front-row lock-out on Saturday.
Should Mercedes falter, the likes of Williams, McLaren, Ferrari and the resurgent Red Bull could be waiting in the wings to capitalize and claim pole position at Albert Park.
Remember, qualifying begins at 2am ET on NBCSN and Live Extra. CLICK HERE to watch the live stream.
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 8
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 8
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1