Mar 16, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
Driver introductions are now underway at Bristol Motor Speedway, where track drying continues in hopes of NASCAR being able to start the Food City 500 relatively soon.
The morning rains have delayed the start by some 90 minutes now and washed all the rubber off of the high-banked half-mile. Still, pole sitter Denny Hamlin expects to see a groove widen out toward the top of the track as the race progresses.
“You’re gonna see the track not rubber up as much as we had it during ‘Happy Hour’ simply because the sun’s not out and the temperature’s not up,” he explained to Fox Sports during the rain delay. “But the rubber will lay down enough to where the groove will start widening out, and eventually, it will get to where the Nationwide cars were and probably even higher.
“Talking to my [Joe Gibbs Racing] teammates yesterday, they said it kind of got to where it was a few years ago when they were always running the top and it was the fastest. But with this [Sprint Cup] car, with the downforce and this tire – I think on the lower line, we’ll be able to pass a little bit easier than it has in the past. But you’ll still see a fight for the top after halfway.”
Hamlin, a past Bristol winner, believes that his No. 11 JGR Toyota will be strong either low or high on the Bristol banking.
“We didn’t really pay any lap time penalty [in practice] by going to the top or going to the bottom,” he added. “That’s the key for us. We feel like if you’re gonna pass, get through lapped traffic and gain positions, you’re gonna need to move around and have a car that can do that.”
- Power steals final pole of IndyCar’s 2015 season with new track record at Sonoma 0
- Oriol Servia reflects on his friend Justin Wilson, as he races No. 25 car at Sonoma (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5