Mar 16, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
It’s a good thing Matt Kenseth won’t be racing in the Chicago area until the Chase for the Sprint Cup opener on Sept. 14.
He’d be wise to stay away from the Windy City until then at all costs.
Maybe if he’s lucky, Chicago Bears fans will have forgotten Kenseth’s provocative comment during the rain delay of Sunday’s Food City 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway.
A native of tiny Cambridge, Wisc. (1,200 residents), Kenseth is an unabashedly lifelong diehard fan of the Green Bay Packers.
And he absolutely, positively hates the Packers’ No. 1 rivals, the dreaded Bears.
So when the Packers signed free agent Julius Peppers on Friday, one day after the 34-year-old veteran defensive end was told by the Bears that after four seasons he no longer fit into the team’s plans for 2014, Kenseth gloated.
“I see the Packers signed Julius Peppers, a rare free agent signing,” said during Sunday’s race rain delay on FoxSports. “I’m kind of excited about that.”
Okay, that wasn’t too bad in terms of rubbing it in to Bears fans.
But then Kenseth stepped over the line.
“He (Peppers) must have seen the light, left the Bears and went to the Packers,” Kenseth said. “That’s cool.”
Seen the light? Oh, Matt, Bears fans are going to make you pay for that.
Given how excited Kenseth is about Peppers’ signing, one has to wonder if he and wife Katie might call their soon-to-be-born third daughter some type of derivative of Julius.
Can you say Julie or Julia Kenseth, perhaps?
(Actually, those names have a pretty good ring to them.)
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- F1’s Modern Wonder: Under the lights, Singapore shines brightly 0
- 2014 Singapore Grand Prix Preview 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Matt Kenseth confident as Loudon looms (VIDEO) 0
- Singapore GP, Red Bull GRC highlight weekend’s NBC motorsports coverage 0
- NASCAR: Richard Petty Motorsports committed to two-car program in 2015 6
- NASCAR: STANLEY, DEWALT join JGR in 2015 4
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Keselowski (VIDEO) 0