Mar 16, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
Although fellow rookie Kevin Magnussen may have stolen the headlines with a remarkable podium finish on debut, Daniil Kvyat also put in an incredible display in Australia today to become the youngest ever points scorer in F1 history.
Kvyat made his debut today at the age of just 19 years and 322 days, and finished the race in tenth place behind teammate Jean-Eric Vergne.
With this solitary point for P10, Kvyat breaks Sebastian Vettel’s seven year old record for being the youngest points scorer in Formula 1. Vettel made his debut at the 2007 United States Grand Prix for BMW Sauber as a replacement for the injured Robert Kubica, and he finished the race in eighth place at the age of 19 years and 349 days.
“It was a very intense afternoon and finishing my first race with a point is a great feeling,” Kvyat said after the race. “It was a fantastic first grand prix weekend with the team, everyone worked really hard and scoring points was a great way to end it. So well done to everyone!”
Having struggled during pre-season and failing to impress during the dry practice sessions on Friday, the pace of the STR9 came as something of a surprise to Kvyat. Furthermore, he never expected to record a top ten finish in his first race.
“I never expected to score a point in my first race, so it feels amazing. It’s a real boost for us and now we have to keep on working hard and if we keep on the way we are going, then we can look forward to a really positive season.”
Having been fast-tracked by Red Bull into Formula 1 after winning the GP3 title last season, Kvyat is already proving that their decision to overlook Antonion Felix da Costa and Carlos Sainz Jr. was the right one.
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 1
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1