Mar 16, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
UPDATE (7 p.m. ET): Drivers have been called back to their cars, and it appears that we’ll be back racing at Bristol shortly. We are currently at Lap 124 of 500 in the Food City 500, with Matt Kenseth leading the way.
Remember, the race needs to go past the halfway point – Lap 251 – to be considered an official event.
Continue to follow MotorSportsTalk throughout the night for updates.
UPDATE (5:46 p.m. ET): NASCAR appeared ready to resume the Food City 500 but shortly after calling drivers back to their cars, another light shower popped up at Bristol and caused the sanctioning body to tell teams to cover the cars back up about 20 minutes ago.
A previous shower had caused the race at Bristol Motor Speedway to be stopped at Lap 124 of 500 under the red flag.
The race’s start was delayed by almost two hours due to rain before it finally got underway. On Lap 118, the caution came out for rain a few laps after Jimmie Johnson had his right front tire go down on him, which forced him to give up his position in the Top 5 to pit under green.
Pit stops ensued during the Lap 118 yellow, with Matt Kenseth emerging as the race leader ahead of Jamie McMurray, Brad Keselowski, Kurt Busch and Dale Earnhardt Jr. That’s your current Top 5 right now at the red flag.
As for Johnson – who took left side tires only on his first stop of the afternoon during the competition caution at Lap 50 – he’s fallen to 39th and three laps off the pace.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1
- Insight: Planning Andretti’s Sports Marketing promotional efforts at Miami and NOLA 1
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 5