Mar 16, 2014, 6:30 AM EDT
Nico Rosberg will be celebrating on Sunday night in Australia after making the best possible start to the season with victory in the race at Albert Park today.
The German driver took the lead at the first corner and never looked back, seeing off the challenge of Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo and McLaren’s Kevin Magnussen to win the race by over 20 seconds. Having enjoyed a successful pre-season, Mercedes was expected to be the team to beat, but Rosberg was delighted to have delivered when it mattered on race day in Melbourne.
“That was an incredible day for us,” he explained. “To start the season with a win is unbelievable and I have to say a big thank you to everybody who was involved in building our car over the winter. I always dreamed of having such a strong Silver Arrow and now it seems we are there.”
Unlike teammate Lewis Hamilton – who retired on lap four with an engine problem – Rosberg enjoyed a trouble-free race.
“In the race, everything went perfectly for me,” he said. “My start was great and I was able to push from there until the end, with our fuel consumption well under control.
“However, despite our success today, we also know that there is still some work to do. We saw over the weekend that reliability is still a concern and it prevented us from having a strong two-car finish. We have two weeks to improve that.”
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 1
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 5
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 10
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 14
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3