Mar 16, 2014, 6:30 AM EDT
Nico Rosberg will be celebrating on Sunday night in Australia after making the best possible start to the season with victory in the race at Albert Park today.
The German driver took the lead at the first corner and never looked back, seeing off the challenge of Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo and McLaren’s Kevin Magnussen to win the race by over 20 seconds. Having enjoyed a successful pre-season, Mercedes was expected to be the team to beat, but Rosberg was delighted to have delivered when it mattered on race day in Melbourne.
“That was an incredible day for us,” he explained. “To start the season with a win is unbelievable and I have to say a big thank you to everybody who was involved in building our car over the winter. I always dreamed of having such a strong Silver Arrow and now it seems we are there.”
Unlike teammate Lewis Hamilton – who retired on lap four with an engine problem – Rosberg enjoyed a trouble-free race.
“In the race, everything went perfectly for me,” he said. “My start was great and I was able to push from there until the end, with our fuel consumption well under control.
“However, despite our success today, we also know that there is still some work to do. We saw over the weekend that reliability is still a concern and it prevented us from having a strong two-car finish. We have two weeks to improve that.”
- Dale Coyne Racing crew member injured in frightening pit-lane crash 0
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 0
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 38
- 2015 Indy 500 driver-by-driver one-liners 0
- Bell: “Carb Day is many things to many people; mine was many jobs” 0
- Hamilton storms to first Monaco GP pole position 1
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari in final practice for Monaco GP 0