Mar 16, 2014, 1:39 AM EDT
Formula 1 enters a brand new era today in Australia at the start of the 2014 season, featuring a raft of new regulations changes, driver changes and technical advancements that makes this race one of the most anticipated in decades.
Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes stormed to pole position in the wet conditions of qualifying yesterday, denying Daniel Ricciardo his first pole position at his home race on debut for Red Bull. However, teammate Sebastian Vettel endured a disastrous session, and will start the race down in 12th place. His chances of winning a record breaking tenth straight grand prix are all but over.
After qualifying, there have been three changes made to the starting grid:
- Valtteri Bottas has been demoted five places on the grid due to a gearbox penalty.
- Esteban Gutierrez has also been demoted five places on the grid due to a gearbox penalty.
- Romain Grosjean has elected to start the race from the pit lane.
2014 Australian Grand Prix Starting Grid
1. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull
3. Nico Rosberg Mercedes
4. Kevin Magnussen McLaren
5. Fernando Alonso Ferrari
6. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso
7. Nico Hulkenberg Force India
8. Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso
9. Felipe Massa Williams
10. Jenson Button McLaren
11. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari
12. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull
13. Adrian Sutil Sauber
14. Kamui Kobayashi Caterham
15. Valtteri Bottas Williams
16. Sergio Perez Force India
17. Max Chilton Marussia
18. Jules Bianchi Marussia
19. Marcus Ericsson Caterham
20. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber
21. Pastor Maldonado Lotus
PIT LANE Romain Grosjean Lotus
- WATCH LIVE: FP2 for the Singapore Grand Prix 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Singapore Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Singapore GP 0
- Michael Waltrip challenges Dale Jr. to go Dancing With The Stars 1
- IndyCar: Brasilia, Brazil race confirmed for March 8, 2015 1
- F1’s Modern Wonder: Under the lights, Singapore shines brightly 0
- 2014 Singapore Grand Prix Preview 0