Mar 16, 2014, 1:39 AM EST
Formula 1 enters a brand new era today in Australia at the start of the 2014 season, featuring a raft of new regulations changes, driver changes and technical advancements that makes this race one of the most anticipated in decades.
Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes stormed to pole position in the wet conditions of qualifying yesterday, denying Daniel Ricciardo his first pole position at his home race on debut for Red Bull. However, teammate Sebastian Vettel endured a disastrous session, and will start the race down in 12th place. His chances of winning a record breaking tenth straight grand prix are all but over.
After qualifying, there have been three changes made to the starting grid:
- Valtteri Bottas has been demoted five places on the grid due to a gearbox penalty.
- Esteban Gutierrez has also been demoted five places on the grid due to a gearbox penalty.
- Romain Grosjean has elected to start the race from the pit lane.
2014 Australian Grand Prix Starting Grid
1. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull
3. Nico Rosberg Mercedes
4. Kevin Magnussen McLaren
5. Fernando Alonso Ferrari
6. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso
7. Nico Hulkenberg Force India
8. Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso
9. Felipe Massa Williams
10. Jenson Button McLaren
11. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari
12. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull
13. Adrian Sutil Sauber
14. Kamui Kobayashi Caterham
15. Valtteri Bottas Williams
16. Sergio Perez Force India
17. Max Chilton Marussia
18. Jules Bianchi Marussia
19. Marcus Ericsson Caterham
20. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber
21. Pastor Maldonado Lotus
PIT LANE Romain Grosjean Lotus
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 1
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1