Mar 17, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
Daniel Ricciardo tweeted this preseason, upon choosing the No. 3 for his permanent use in Formula One, that it was for two reasons.
The first was to throw back to his karting days, as it was his first karting number, and also because he was a fan of Dale Earnhardt.
On Daytona 500 race day, Ricciardo tweeted this.
Daytona 500. Boogity
— Daniel Ricciardo (@danielricciardo) February 23, 2014
Then after Dale Earnhardt Jr. won the Daytona 500, Ricciardo had this to say.
1 word… Junebug 😊 well done my man. #bigfan
— Daniel Ricciardo (@danielricciardo) February 24, 2014
And now, after Dale Jr.’s first finish outside the top two this season, he tweeted the guy who had finished second in the Australian Grand Prix before being disqualified after the race.
Earnhardt Jr., who officially joined on Twitter after winning the Daytona 500 and has been incredibly active since, is a new fan of the Red Bull Racing driver.
— Dale Earnhardt Jr. (@DaleJr) March 16, 2014
Here’s to hoping some powers-that-be can get these two to meet at a race this year. While Ricciardo at a NASCAR race would be interesting, I’d love to see Dale Jr. as a guest of Red Bull at a Grand Prix.
Problem is, with Dale Jr.’s Mtn Dew sponsorship, not sure if that could happen.
- Bubba Wallace pays homage to NASCAR Hall of Famer Wendell Scott with encore win at Martinsville 1
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 8
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1