Mar 19, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Americans Alexander Rossi and Conor Daly starred on the opening day of the second preseason GP2 test in Bahrain.
Rossi’s flier of 1:40.604 for EQ8 Caterham Racing in the afternoon session was fastest of the day, just edging Daniel Abt at 1:40.616 for Hilmer Motorsport.
Russian Time’s Mitch Evans clocked in third at 1:40.680 with Daly, back in his second test for the Venezuela GP Lazarus team, fourth at 1:40.734. It marks his first time to the Bahrain International Circuit.
Jolyon Palmer, son of former Grand Prix driver Jonathan and another second-generation talent like Daly, rounded out the afternoon top five at 1:40.769.
Three seats are still left to be filled for the full-season championship. Second seats at MP Motorsport, Trident and Lazarus have yet to be determined.
Daly is in the Lazarus seat this test, with Italian Vittorio Ghirelli in the second Trident seat and Jon Lancaster in the second MP seat. Lancaster starred at the Abu Dhabi test last week.
TIMES: Day 1 in Bahrain
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 3
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0