Mar 19, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Americans Alexander Rossi and Conor Daly starred on the opening day of the second preseason GP2 test in Bahrain.
Rossi’s flier of 1:40.604 for EQ8 Caterham Racing in the afternoon session was fastest of the day, just edging Daniel Abt at 1:40.616 for Hilmer Motorsport.
Russian Time’s Mitch Evans clocked in third at 1:40.680 with Daly, back in his second test for the Venezuela GP Lazarus team, fourth at 1:40.734. It marks his first time to the Bahrain International Circuit.
Jolyon Palmer, son of former Grand Prix driver Jonathan and another second-generation talent like Daly, rounded out the afternoon top five at 1:40.769.
Three seats are still left to be filled for the full-season championship. Second seats at MP Motorsport, Trident and Lazarus have yet to be determined.
Daly is in the Lazarus seat this test, with Italian Vittorio Ghirelli in the second Trident seat and Jon Lancaster in the second MP seat. Lancaster starred at the Abu Dhabi test last week.
TIMES: Day 1 in Bahrain
Video from NASCAR America
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 0
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 0
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 0
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 1
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 1
- Will Power claims 2014 IndyCar title as Tony Kanaan ties season win record in Fontana 1
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Tony Stewart’s return to racing: ‘I’m sure that’s where he wants to be’ 0