Mar 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
The race to get deals done for the month of May, and the Indianapolis 500, is already nearing an end.
A couple weeks ago, we examined where the Indianapolis 500 was in terms of engine car count. Here’s an update with after Thursday’s news that JR Hildebrand will be in the second Ed Carpenter Racing entry.
- Andretti Autosport (5): No. 25 Marco Andretti, No. 27 James Hinchcliffe, No. 28 Ryan Hunter-Reay, No. 34 Carlos Munoz, No. 26 Kurt Busch-R
- Schmidt Peterson Motorsports (3): No. 7 Mikhail Aleshin-R, No. 77 Simon Pagenaud, No. 5 Jacques Villeneuve-W
- A.J. Foyt Racing (2): 14 Takuma Sato, No. 41 Martin Plowman-R
- Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing (2): 15 Graham Rahal, 16 Oriol Servia
- Dale Coyne Racing (2): No. 18 TBA, No. 19 Justin Wilson
- Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing (2): No. 67 Josef Newgarden, No. 68 Alex Tagliani
- Bryan Herta Autosport (1): No. 98 Jack Hawksworth-R
- Chip Ganassi Racing (4): No. 8 Ryan Briscoe, No. 9 Scott Dixon-W, No. 10 Tony Kanaan-W, No. 83 Charlie Kimball
- Team Penske (3): No. 2 Juan Pablo Montoya-W, No. 3 Helio Castroneves-W, No. 12 Will Power
- KVSH/KF AFS Racing (2): No. 11 Sebastien Bourdais, No. 17 Sebastian Saavedra
- Ed Carpenter Racing (2): No. 20 Ed Carpenter, No. 21 JR Hildebrand
Honda has room for an 18th engine lease, per a spokesperson at Sebring last week. That 18th would be either a third car from Dale Coyne Racing or, less likely, the crowd-funded Cutters RT effort. Of course, Coyne’s second seat needs to be filled first.
Chevrolet will add a third for KV, expected to be announced either this week or next. A fifth for Ganassi is more possible than not.
Additional Chevrolets will need to make up the balance, in the form of the likely but not officially confirmed Lazier Partners Racing entry (Buddy Lazier) and then possible entries from either or both of Dreyer & Reinbold and Panther Racing, as separate entities. DRR seems a more likely proposition than Panther, at the moment.
The combination to get to 33 will be either 17 Honda-16 Chevrolet or 18 Honda-15 Chevrolet, barring any further surprises. 18 Honda and 16 Chevrolet seems more likely to get to 34 and open the potential of bumping.
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0