Mar 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
McLaren CEO Ron Dennis has said that he is expecting the team to make a gain of around half a second at the Malaysian Grand Prix in nine days’ time, sending out a warning shot to current front-runners Mercedes.
Following Daniel Ricciardo’s disqualification from the Australian Grand Prix last weekend, McLaren drivers Kevin Magnussen and Jenson Button finished in second and third place respectively. Despite moving to the top of the constructors’ championship, the team was still a long way behind pace-setters Mercedes as Nico Rosberg won the race by over 20 seconds, enjoying an estimated one-lap advantage of around half a second, with Lewis Hamilton’s retirement being the only low point for the German team.
However, Dennis – who returned as CEO at the beginning of the year – is confident of cutting the gap to the German team at the next round in Malaysia (March 28-30).
“I’m very pleased with the changes that have been made over the last couple of months and the outcome I think is very positive, so let’s see where we are in a month or two,” Dennis explained to reporters, reflecting on the team’s worst season in over 30 years in 2013 that sparked a number of changes at Woking, such as the departures of Sergio Perez and Martin Whitmarsh.
“We’re confident that we will be half a second quicker at the next grand prix for a variety of reasons,” he added. “That’s not going to be enough to achieve our goal but that will keep the pressure on the teams that are chasing us.”
The result in Australia saw McLaren beat its best result from 2013, having failed to reach the podium across the course of the season. It marked a highly impressive first race for Danish youngster Kevin Magnussen, who scored the best debut result since Jacques Villeneuve in 1996 with second place.
Although the MP4-29 car may not quite be on par with the Mercedes W05, the team is certainly ahead of Ferrari and Red Bull. However, such a huge improvement in pace may be difficult to produce, but we will see in Sepang whether Dennis’ faith has been well-placed in the new upgrades.
Video from NASCAR America
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 0
- What now if your favorite driver is eliminated from Chase? 5
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10
- UPDATED: Chase contender Kyle Busch back on track after Lap 102 crash (VIDEO) 0
- Faced with must-win scenarios, Earnhardt, Johnson lead halfway at Talladega 0
- Surprising revelation: Dale Jr. admits he coasted earlier in his career — ‘I just rested on my legacy and last name’ 0
- With nothing left to do but win, Dale Earnhardt Jr. faces Talladega with optimism 0