Mar 21, 2014, 11:43 AM EST
Three days after the birth of his and wife Jennifer’s first child, Remi Barbara Christine Menard, Paul Menard will miss Friday’s Sprint Cup practice and qualifying at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif.
Menard, shown in the accompanying photo that he tweeted out after his daughter’s birth, will remain in North Carolina to be with his wife and child and then fly to California
According to SportingNews.com, reigning Camping World Trucks Series driver Matt Crafton, who had been on standby for Menard the last few races, will drive the No. 27 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet during Friday’s on-track activities.
The team also tweeted that on Menard’s Twitter account Friday.
Menard, who is 17th in the Sprint Cup standings entering this weekend, is expected to be at the track for Saturday’s practice sessions and Sunday’s 400-mile race.
No matter where Crafton qualifies Friday, Menard will still have to start at the back of Sunday’s 43-car race field, per NASCAR rules.
The sanctioning body has revised rules this season that for a driver to qualify for the Chase for the Sprint Cup, he/she must either qualify or race for every one of the first 26 regular season races.
Even though he’ll miss qualifying, Menard will still be Chase-eligible, provided he competes in all of the first 26 races.
NASCAR does not grant injury waivers to drivers for the birth of a child.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 0
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 52
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1