Mar 21, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT
Auto Club Speedway track president Gillian Zucker’s personality makes her typically one excited individual — but she’s gone to almost a hyper-speed level of excitement this weekend.
Sure, she’s hosting about 75,000-plus fans at Sunday’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Auto Club 400 at the ultra-wide, two-mile Southern California track.
But Zucker has a ton more activities that will encompass the entire race weekend.
Look at Sunday’s lineup alone: potential line dancing to Billy Ray Cyrus (thankfully, without daughter Miley) during a pre-race concert, Pia Toscana singing the National Anthem, the Muppets’ Great Gonzo as grand marshal (and he’ll make his entry being shot out of a cannon) and Olympic medalist skier Bode Miller and volleyball pro wife Morgan will serve as honorary race starters.
And then there’s the – literally – the piece de resistance: Elvis imitators selling chicken pieces in a brand new and aptly-named track restaurant, “Love Me, Tender” (as in the top thing on the menu, chicken tenders).
Oh yeah, and there’ll be a NASCAR Sprint Cup race to boot, on what its track president calls “almost unquestionably the best surface in NASCAR.”
Zucker has so much going that she’ll wax effusively and tell anyone who’ll ask.
One of those was KERN radio morning host Scott Cox, who spent nearly 15 minutes on-air with Zucker Thursday on the Bakersfield, Calif. station’s “First Look” program.
Check out the video version of Zucker’s interview with Cox below, and you might want to take notes because we don’t think there’s anything she missed – and there’s lots to remember – about this weekend’s fun-filled weekend.
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 2
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 1
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 5
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 2
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0