Mar 21, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
Sauber drivers Esteban Gutierrez and Adrian Sutil are both ready for the challenge of the Malaysian Grand Prix next weekend, and have targeted a big step forward following a disappointing showing in Australia last weekend.
Both Sutil and Gutierrez had rather anonymous races in Melbourne, eventually finishing in 11th and 12th, and a lap down on race winner Nico Rosberg. Having failed to show any kind of pace so far, both drivers are hoping that the heat of Malaysia could see the team take a stride towards the points.
“I am curious to drive the car on this track where the aerodynamics play a huge role,” Sutil explained. “This is important in order to get to know where we stand. If a car is good in Sepang, then it will be fast on other tracks as well. You need everything here – good aerodynamics, grip in the corners and high speed on the straights. The aerodynamic efficiency of the car is a key.
“Generally, my hope is that we improve from race to race. In Malaysia, the main objective is to get better and to make a step forward.”
2013 rookie of the year Gutierrez held no punches when previewing the race, saying: “It is a fact that we are not happy yet with our performance.
“We need to put our heads together, be united as a team and make progress in every little detail we can. We have a great team, and I am confident we can improve.”
Having relied largely on ever-the-nearlyman Nico Hulkenberg for the bulk of its points in 2013, Sauber will be hoping that both Sutil and Gutierrez can meet the challenge this year and help the team to return to the podium after two years away.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Matt Kenseth confident as Loudon looms (VIDEO) 0
- Singapore GP, Red Bull GRC highlight weekend’s NBC motorsports coverage 0
- NASCAR: Richard Petty Motorsports committed to two-car program in 2015 5
- NASCAR: STANLEY, DEWALT join JGR in 2015 4
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 25