Mar 21, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
The Fords of Roush Fenway Racing and Richard Petty Motorsports are working through a potentially serious issue as we head for qualifying later today at Auto Club Speedway.
About 20 minutes ago, Wendy Venturini of Fox Sports reported during “NASCAR Live” that the O-rings on the cars’ water lines have shriveled up during cooldown, causing the lines to leak.
According to Venturini, the rings will have to be replaced following qualifying.
In the meantime, the Ford contingent may be worried about the water staying in their machines during the three-round knockout session, which begins at 7:40 p.m. ET.
One of the RPM drivers, Marcos Ambrose, lost a lot of water on his No. 9 Ford at the start of qualifying earlier this month in Las Vegas and that forced him to use a provisional to make the race there.
That setback was later chalked up to a hole in Ambrose’s radiator, however.
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1