Mar 21, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
The Fords of Roush Fenway Racing and Richard Petty Motorsports are working through a potentially serious issue as we head for qualifying later today at Auto Club Speedway.
About 20 minutes ago, Wendy Venturini of Fox Sports reported during “NASCAR Live” that the O-rings on the cars’ water lines have shriveled up during cooldown, causing the lines to leak.
According to Venturini, the rings will have to be replaced following qualifying.
In the meantime, the Ford contingent may be worried about the water staying in their machines during the three-round knockout session, which begins at 7:40 p.m. ET.
One of the RPM drivers, Marcos Ambrose, lost a lot of water on his No. 9 Ford at the start of qualifying earlier this month in Las Vegas and that forced him to use a provisional to make the race there.
That setback was later chalked up to a hole in Ambrose’s radiator, however.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 1
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 5