Mar 21, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
The Fords of Roush Fenway Racing and Richard Petty Motorsports are working through a potentially serious issue as we head for qualifying later today at Auto Club Speedway.
About 20 minutes ago, Wendy Venturini of Fox Sports reported during “NASCAR Live” that the O-rings on the cars’ water lines have shriveled up during cooldown, causing the lines to leak.
According to Venturini, the rings will have to be replaced following qualifying.
In the meantime, the Ford contingent may be worried about the water staying in their machines during the three-round knockout session, which begins at 7:40 p.m. ET.
One of the RPM drivers, Marcos Ambrose, lost a lot of water on his No. 9 Ford at the start of qualifying earlier this month in Las Vegas and that forced him to use a provisional to make the race there.
That setback was later chalked up to a hole in Ambrose’s radiator, however.
- Report: Deal for Marcos Ambrose’ return to Australia to race V8 Supercars for Roger Penske may be close 5
- MotorSportsTalk’s Predictions: Hungarian GP 0
- Alexander Rossi joins Marussia as reserve driver 2
- 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix Preview 3
- Bubba Wallace dominates to win MudSummer Classic at Eldora (updated) 3