Mar 22, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
You’ve heard of fantasy camps for typically over-the-hill athletes who get to rub shoulders with some of their heroes while also hoping to relive sports versions of what could have been when they were younger, right?
Well, even if you couldn’t hit a curve ball or your jump shot had little jump in it, there’s a heck of a fantasy camp of sorts for motorsports fans.
Whether you drive a Viper, Corvette, Porsche or maybe a high-performance Camaro or Charger – heck, you can probably drive your beater Nova or Vega as long as they can keep up – get ready to turn your ignition key.
Oh yeah, provided you have about $10,000-plus to burn.
The cost may be high, but the experience is priceless on The Autobahn Tour. Five times this year, starting in mid-May, if you can find a way to ship yourself and your car to Amsterdam, The Netherlands, you can put some serious pedal to metal.
Or as Tour promoters say, it’s “For Serious Drivers Only!”
After two days of sightseeing and getting to know your fellow tour participants, the ultimate roadtrip begins with a journey to neighboring Germany, with the destination of the infamous Nurburgring. There, you’ll spend 1 ½ days taking laps on the same track where the greatest F1 drivers have competed for decades.
After that, you spend a day getting up to and past speed on the no speed limit Autobahn.
The following day, you swap corners on the famous twisting roads up through both the Swiss and Italian Alps, then take part in a full day of driving on the famous track at Monza, where you can either drive your own car or rent (at an additional cost) a real, true race car to pilot.
While the tours in June, July, August and September will have slightly different concluding itineraries, the May tour will take you from Monza to take part in the Cannes Film Festival, followed by attending in (but not racing in) the Monaco Grand Prix.
Sure, it’s costly – and you have to pay for your own fuel and any traffic (i.e., speeding) tickets you get along the way – but imagine the memories you’ll have and the tales you can tell to all your jealous friends.
For more info on The Autobahn Tour, click here.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 2
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 14