Mar 22, 2014, 1:36 PM EDT
Seeking to get back on track after consecutive poor finishes at Las Vegas and last weekend at Bristol, Phoenix winner Kevin Harvick was fastest in the first of two Sprint Cup practice sessions on tap for today at Auto Club Speedway.
Harvick took the No. 4 Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet to the top of the charts with a lap at 186.018 miles per hour on his second of 26 circuits this session around the two-mile oval.
“We’ve had it on both sides of the fence, tight and loose,” Harvick told Fox Sports toward the end of the practice.
“We’re just trying to fill our notebook so we can make some good decisions tonight and based upon what we’ve seen in the forecast now – it’s going to be sunny tomorrow – I’d say [the car being] a little bit tight wouldn’t be a bad thing.”
Fellow California native Jeff Gordon was second-quickest at 185.677 mph in the No. 24 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet, followed by Team Penske’s Joey Logano in third (185.620 mph), Sunday pole sitter Matt Kenseth in fourth (185.319 mph), and one of Harvick’s SHR teammates, Kurt Busch, in fifth (184.943 mph).
Video from NASCAR America
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 1
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3