Mar 22, 2014, 1:36 PM EDT
Seeking to get back on track after consecutive poor finishes at Las Vegas and last weekend at Bristol, Phoenix winner Kevin Harvick was fastest in the first of two Sprint Cup practice sessions on tap for today at Auto Club Speedway.
Harvick took the No. 4 Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet to the top of the charts with a lap at 186.018 miles per hour on his second of 26 circuits this session around the two-mile oval.
“We’ve had it on both sides of the fence, tight and loose,” Harvick told Fox Sports toward the end of the practice.
“We’re just trying to fill our notebook so we can make some good decisions tonight and based upon what we’ve seen in the forecast now – it’s going to be sunny tomorrow – I’d say [the car being] a little bit tight wouldn’t be a bad thing.”
Fellow California native Jeff Gordon was second-quickest at 185.677 mph in the No. 24 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet, followed by Team Penske’s Joey Logano in third (185.620 mph), Sunday pole sitter Matt Kenseth in fourth (185.319 mph), and one of Harvick’s SHR teammates, Kurt Busch, in fifth (184.943 mph).
- Hulkenberg extends contract with Force India for two more years 0
- Ten with Townsend: Sonoma and 2015 IndyCar debrief 0
- Dixon’s latest title a story of consistency, comeback, typical “Ice Man” cool 0
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 17
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 16
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 3
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1