Mar 22, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Martin Truex Jr. and Furniture Row Racing were forced to go to their backup No. 78 Chevrolet for Sunday’s Auto Club 400 after a tire failure sent the primary car into the wall during this morning’s first Sprint Cup practice at Auto Club Speedway.
“I was still wide-open turning down into the corner [Turn 1] and the left rear came apart – shredded,” Truex told Fox Sports before this afternoon’s Cup final practice. “No warning at all, but the first tire we ran a 12-lap run right off the start of practice and we saw a sign of an issue with the sidewall on that tire, so we put some air in it.
“Goodyear always says you can put some air in it and we went up on air pressure and went out. I think it was on the eighth lap, it came apart. My plan was to not run more than 10 because on 12 the first run, it came apart and I was thinking 10 would be safe because we put air in it. And, we come to find out, it wasn’t.
“I’m not sure what the options are now. We’re gonna put more air in it and try again. There’s nothing else we can do.”
Truex had qualified 12th yesterday for Sunday’s main event in his primary car. The practice incident is the latest in a string of bad luck moments that has marred his first season so far with Furniture Row.
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 0
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 8
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1