Mar 23, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
As we wrote earlier this week, the Muppets’ resident daredevil – The Great Gonzo – is at Auto Club Speedway to take on Grand Marshal duties for today’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Auto Club 400 at Auto Club Speedway.
We figure that’s the best explanation behind the track claiming its first NASCAR sellout since the 2003 season. Okay, there is the matter of the track reducing its grandstand capacity to 68,000 but that’s not nearly as fun of an explanation.
In any case, America’s favorite “Whatever” is already making the rounds at Fontana before today’s fifth race of the 2014 Sprint Cup championship.
In fact, he’s already spent time with the defending Cup Series champion, Jimmie Johnson, and his Hendrick Motorsports crew chief, Chad Knaus – who couldn’t resist giving Gonzo the ol’ “rabbit ears” in a photo.
Knaus is known as one of the most intense personalities in the Cup garage, so it’s good to see him cutting up a bit. With Gonzo around, it’s hard for anyone not to be at least a little goofy.
As Jerry Bonkowski wrote yesterday, Gonzo is set to make his entrance today at Fontana by getting shot out of a cannon and will then give the command to start engines.
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 2
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 1
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 2
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1