Mar 24, 2014, 2:52 AM EDT
Robert Lynn “Bobby” Waltrip, middle brother of NASCAR Hall of Fame driver and Fox Sports announcer Darrell Waltrip and NASCAR team owner and fellow Fox Sports announcer Michael Waltrip, died Sunday.
It’s unknown when Darrell and Michael Waltrip were informed of their brother’s death. Both worked the Fox Sports’ Sunday afternoon telecast of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Auto Club 400 race at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif.
Michael, the youngest of the three Waltrip brothers, confirmed his brother’s passing on Twitter Sunday evening.
Moments later, Darrell, the oldest Waltrip brother, also paid homage to brother Bobby.
Bobby Waltrip grew up in Owensboro, Ky., but had lived in the Concord, N.C. area the last 25 years.
While he never followed his brothers into NASCAR as a race car driver — although he did work for Darrell in the late 1980s and early 1990s when the latter formed his own Winston Cup team — Bobby became a major force in the world of go-kart racing, first as a successful kart racer himself and later as an announcer and promoter in the sport in both the World Karting Association (WKA) and the American Karting Association (AKRA).
He was believed to be in his early 60s at the time of his death.
Few details of Bobby Waltrip’s death were available late Sunday night. Someone identifying himself as Bobby Waltrip’s son had this post on the well-known go-karting news site www.karting.4cycle.com.
Condolences from friends of Darrell and Michael began pouring in Sunday night, including NASCAR star Dale Earnhardt Jr.:
Bobby Waltrip’s death marked the second passing of a close relative of the Fox Sports NASCAR broadcasting crew in as many days. Howard R. Roberts, father of announcer John Roberts, died Saturday.
It was clear from Michael Waltrip’s last tweet Sunday night how much his brother’s death was weighing upon him:
Below is a video interview of Bobby Waltrip at Volusia (Fla.) Speedway Park in late 2009 by Daytona Beach News-Journal motorsports writer Godwin Kelly.
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 2
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 2
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 1
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 13
- DiZinno: Justin Wilson’s enduring legacy, positive spirit loom as large as his frame 2