Mar 24, 2014, 5:37 PM EST
The new era of Formula One was met poorly in some quarters after the season-opening Australian Grand Prix, with complaints seeming to center around the lack of noise made by the V-6 powered cars.
Australian Grand Prix organizers said the quieter cars may have breached their contracts with F1 management, and the series’ boss, Bernie Ecclestone, has said that ways to make the cars louder should be investigated as the season hits its stride.
In his comments, Ecclestone said he had talked to FIA president Jean Todt about the subject, and in an interview with Italian network RAI, the former Ferrari general manager appeared to be open to any ideas – even though he himself found the new sound of F1 “fascinating.”
“The noise is obviously different now, and if there is a problem with it then if the teams agree we can look at a way to make it noisier,” he said to RAI.
But noise is just one aspect that he’s concerned with when it comes to the turbo-charged motors.
He also touched on the subject of teams having to go into fuel-save mode too often in order to see the checkered flag, saying that he doesn’t want to see “Formula One ‘economy runs.'”
However, he said that fuel-saving wasn’t the cause of the lack of passing in Melbourne. Instead, Todt believed that was due to the cars’ aerodynamics and the lack of overtaking opportunities from the Albert Park circuit itself.
“I am convinced that very soon we will see a lot of overtaking,” he said on that subject. “So let’s wait before making judgements.”
Still, Ecclestone has indicated that he isn’t willing to wait very long, at least in regards to the noise issue.
“I don’t know whether it’s possible [to make modifications,] but we should investigate,” he said about that aspect to the UK’s Telegraph paper earlier this month. “I think, let’s get the first few races out of the way and then maybe look to do something.
“We can’t wait all season. It could be too late by then.”
Mar 6, 2015, 6:11 PM EST
First round of athletes competing in Red Bull GRC exhibition at this year’s X Games at COTA announced.
Mar 6, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Team principal Monisha Kaltenborn vows to keep the best interests of Sauber at heart as it enters a legal row with its former reserve driver.
Mar 6, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Alonso makes light of media reports suggesting that he thought it was 1995 following his crash in pre-season testing.
Mar 6, 2015, 3:16 PM EST
Adam Carolla on the life and racing career of Paul Newman.
Mar 6, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Romanian driver to race alongside Sergey Sirotkin in 2015.
Mar 6, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
German driver reveals that he held secret talks with Ferrari following the 2012 season, but has only made the move to Maranello for 2015.
Mar 6, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
ART, Koiranen and Jenzer all announce drivers ahead of pre-season testing.
Mar 6, 2015, 12:05 PM EST
Frenchman hopes to make up for a difficult 2014 campaign that yielded just eight points in total.
Mar 6, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
A revolution has taken place at Maranello over the winter following Ferrari’s worst F1 performance in over 20 years.
Mar 6, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
Gene Haas may not be alone in bringing a new team into F1 in the near future.
Mar 6, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
After its remarkable comeback, the team is yet to confirm who its second driver will be in Australia.
Mar 5, 2015, 6:44 PM EST
“The Giz” heads to V8SC’s biggest team in a three-year deal as the team’s third car.
Mar 5, 2015, 6:13 PM EST
“RHR 2.0″ enters world on March 5, 2015.
Mar 5, 2015, 5:23 PM EST
“SK$” turns 20. Sage Karam will make his second IndyCar start at season-opening race in St. Petersburg.
Mar 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
JEV wants to clinch Andretti a home win when Formula E hits U.S. shores in Miami later this month.
Mar 5, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
All of the latest news from some of F1’s most prominent junior championships.
Mar 5, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Filipino-Swiss driver moves from Formula Renault 3.5 for 2015.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
British driver sends out an ominous statement of intent ahead of the first race of the year in Australia on March 15.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
Can Massa and Bottas pick up where they left off at the end of 2014?
Mar 5, 2015, 12:07 PM EST
Team now all set to race in Australia on March 15 after passing the FIA crash tests.
- Alonso digs at “science fiction” as crash saga rumbles on 1
- Sebastian Vettel first discussed Ferrari move back in 2008 1
- FIA considering tender for new Formula 1 teams 6
- Manor passes final crash tests ahead of Australian GP 1
- WATCH: Mercedes F1: Road to Repeat at 8 p.m. ET highlights F1 block on NBCSN 0
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2