Mar 25, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
History has been made in Red Bull Global Rallycross, as New Zealand’s Emma Gilmour is set to become the series’ first-ever female driver as part of the Rhys Millen Racing/Hyundai stable.
Gilmour will team up with Millen, a former Pikes Peak International Hill Climb champion and Formula Drift world champion, for a two-car program that will see them race turbo-charged versions of the Hyundai Veloster.
“We’re proud to team up with two drivers known for their precision and consistency, and we are especially excited to give Emma the opportunity to be the first female driver in Global Rallycross,” Hyundai Motor America vice president of marketing Steve Shannon said in a statement.
Gilmour will be making her debut in the rallycross discipline, but has been a top competitor in her home country with three consecutive runner-up finishes from 2010 to 2012 in the New Zealand Rally Championship.
“I have never raced in Rallycross but I have had experience with high horse power cars with my current Suzuki Swift Maxi rally car and driving Possum Bourne’s former hillclimb World Rally car,” she said in a release.
“I have also done some endurance circuit racing in a left hand drive Porsche GT3, but no doubt the GRC will present some exciting new challenges to test my driving skills.”
In a Hyundai release, Millen said he was “especially proud” to have Gilmour on board, and believes “her consistent top performance is sure to impress at every stage of the series.”
The GRC season is slated to begin May 17 at the Top Gear Festival in Barbados before returning to America in June for the X Games in Austin, Texas.
NBC will air highlights from Barbados on May 24, and then show the first of six live GRC broadcasts this season on Sunday, June 22 from Washington, DC. A full GRC broadcast schedule can be found here.
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari on day one of Jerez test 3
- Red Bull RB11 launched in camouflage testing livery 4
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 4
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0