Mar 25, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Tributes are pouring in from across the NASCAR world following the sad loss of Lynda Petty, the wife of seven-time Sprint Cup champion Richard Petty.
Mrs. Petty passed away at her home in Level Cross, North Carolina earlier today at the age of 72. In addition to serving as the rock of the entire Petty family, she is remembered as the founder of the Racing Wives Auxiliary.
During her life, she also was a Red Cross volunteer, a member of the Randolph County (N.C.) School Board for a 16-year period, and as a board member for Randolph County Hospice.
Here are some reactions on social media from NASCAR figures on the loss of the sport’s “First Lady”:
Three-time Cup champion Darrell Waltrip
Kyle Petty Charity Ride organization
NASCAR play-by-play announcer Mike Joy
NASCAR publisher Steve Waid
Reigning Cup champion Jimmie Johnson
Joey Logano, Team Penske
Regan Smith, JR Motorsports (NASCAR Nationwide Series)
DeLana Harvick, wife of Stewart-Haas Racing driver Kevin Harvick
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 2
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 4
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2