Mar 25, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Tributes are pouring in from across the NASCAR world following the sad loss of Lynda Petty, the wife of seven-time Sprint Cup champion Richard Petty.
Mrs. Petty passed away at her home in Level Cross, North Carolina earlier today at the age of 72. In addition to serving as the rock of the entire Petty family, she is remembered as the founder of the Racing Wives Auxiliary.
During her life, she also was a Red Cross volunteer, a member of the Randolph County (N.C.) School Board for a 16-year period, and as a board member for Randolph County Hospice.
Here are some reactions on social media from NASCAR figures on the loss of the sport’s “First Lady”:
Three-time Cup champion Darrell Waltrip
Kyle Petty Charity Ride organization
NASCAR play-by-play announcer Mike Joy
NASCAR publisher Steve Waid
Reigning Cup champion Jimmie Johnson
Joey Logano, Team Penske
Regan Smith, JR Motorsports (NASCAR Nationwide Series)
DeLana Harvick, wife of Stewart-Haas Racing driver Kevin Harvick
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 1
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 1
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5