Mar 25, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Tributes are pouring in from across the NASCAR world following the sad loss of Lynda Petty, the wife of seven-time Sprint Cup champion Richard Petty.
Mrs. Petty passed away at her home in Level Cross, North Carolina earlier today at the age of 72. In addition to serving as the rock of the entire Petty family, she is remembered as the founder of the Racing Wives Auxiliary.
During her life, she also was a Red Cross volunteer, a member of the Randolph County (N.C.) School Board for a 16-year period, and as a board member for Randolph County Hospice.
Here are some reactions on social media from NASCAR figures on the loss of the sport’s “First Lady”:
Three-time Cup champion Darrell Waltrip
Kyle Petty Charity Ride organization
NASCAR play-by-play announcer Mike Joy
NASCAR publisher Steve Waid
Reigning Cup champion Jimmie Johnson
Joey Logano, Team Penske
Regan Smith, JR Motorsports (NASCAR Nationwide Series)
DeLana Harvick, wife of Stewart-Haas Racing driver Kevin Harvick
Video from NASCAR America
- Michael Waltrip challenges Dale Jr. to go Dancing With The Stars 0
- IndyCar: Brasilia, Brazil race confirmed for March 8, 2015 1
- F1’s Modern Wonder: Under the lights, Singapore shines brightly 0
- 2014 Singapore Grand Prix Preview 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Matt Kenseth confident as Loudon looms (VIDEO) 0
- Singapore GP, Red Bull GRC highlight weekend’s NBC motorsports coverage 0
- NASCAR: Richard Petty Motorsports committed to two-car program in 2015 6