Mar 25, 2014, 5:44 PM EST
Tributes are pouring in from across the NASCAR world following the sad loss of Lynda Petty, the wife of seven-time Sprint Cup champion Richard Petty.
Mrs. Petty passed away at her home in Level Cross, North Carolina earlier today at the age of 72. In addition to serving as the rock of the entire Petty family, she is remembered as the founder of the Racing Wives Auxiliary.
During her life, she also was a Red Cross volunteer, a member of the Randolph County (N.C.) School Board for a 16-year period, and as a board member for Randolph County Hospice.
Here are some reactions on social media from NASCAR figures on the loss of the sport’s “First Lady”:
Three-time Cup champion Darrell Waltrip
Kyle Petty Charity Ride organization
NASCAR play-by-play announcer Mike Joy
NASCAR publisher Steve Waid
Reigning Cup champion Jimmie Johnson
Joey Logano, Team Penske
Regan Smith, JR Motorsports (NASCAR Nationwide Series)
DeLana Harvick, wife of Stewart-Haas Racing driver Kevin Harvick
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 14
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1