Mar 25, 2014, 5:44 PM EST
Tributes are pouring in from across the NASCAR world following the sad loss of Lynda Petty, the wife of seven-time Sprint Cup champion Richard Petty.
Mrs. Petty passed away at her home in Level Cross, North Carolina earlier today at the age of 72. In addition to serving as the rock of the entire Petty family, she is remembered as the founder of the Racing Wives Auxiliary.
During her life, she also was a Red Cross volunteer, a member of the Randolph County (N.C.) School Board for a 16-year period, and as a board member for Randolph County Hospice.
Here are some reactions on social media from NASCAR figures on the loss of the sport’s “First Lady”:
Three-time Cup champion Darrell Waltrip
Kyle Petty Charity Ride organization
NASCAR play-by-play announcer Mike Joy
NASCAR publisher Steve Waid
Reigning Cup champion Jimmie Johnson
Joey Logano, Team Penske
Regan Smith, JR Motorsports (NASCAR Nationwide Series)
DeLana Harvick, wife of Stewart-Haas Racing driver Kevin Harvick
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 3
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3