Mar 25, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Unlike when the Duck Commander 500 race name was confirmed, I will attempt to avoid a litany of duck puns here.
The news today from Texas Motor Speedway is that the Robertson family from the “Duck Dynasty” show, unsurprisingly, will play a major role in the pre-race festivities for the April 6 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race there.
Family patriarch Phil Robertson will be the honorary starter and wave the green flag. Uncle Si will be grand marshal and give the duck call… I mean command to start engines.
In total, six Robertson family members will have honorary roles for the event.
“Like everything our family does on the show and in business, we strive to bring families together, and that includes our own. So when we made the decision to sponsor the Duck Commander 500, we knew it would be a Robertson family affair,” Willie Robertson, CEO of Duck/Buck Commander, said in a release. “We think it will be a lot of fun and make for a memorable weekend with a variety of interactive Commander events taking place.”
- Power wins Verizon P1 Award in Detroit with new track record 1
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 5
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 8
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2