Mar 26, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
Sometime Wednesday, Denny Hamlin is expected to give an update on his medical condition and whether he will be able to compete in this Sunday’s STP 500 at Martinsville Speedway.
Hamlin tweeted Tuesday night that he wanted to wait another day due to the death of Richard Petty’s wife Lynda earlier that day.
“With due respect to the Petty family I will send out a update tomorrow. Please keep their family in your thoughts tonight,” Hamlin’s tweet stated.
Hamlin missed Sunday’s Auto Club 400 at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif., after being hospitalized for several hours, reportedly due to a severe sinus infection that affected his vision.
NBCSports.com’s MotorSportsTalk will bring that update to you as soon as we get it.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 3
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 4
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 15