Mar 26, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT
Matt Kenseth jokingly said almost two weeks ago that he had asked wife Katie to hold off on giving birth to their third child until the Monday after this weekend’s upcoming race Martinsville.
Clara Mae Kenseth had other ideas.
The Kenseths welcomed their third daughter into the world Tuesday night, five days before Sunday’s STP 500 Sprint Cup race at Martinsville Speedway – and almost a whole week ahead of when Matt hoped the blessed event would happen.
Clara Mae was born at 7:39 pm ET and weighed eight pounds and five ounces, according to a news release sent out Wednesday morning by Joe Gibbs Racing.
“Both mother and daughter are doing well,” the news release said.
Matt, who has had several drivers standing by for him the last three races in the event he had to hightail it back to North Carolina, is taking a few days off to be with his wife and the family’s newest addition, but will be back at Martinsville likely on Friday.
Clara Mae joins the couple’s other daughters, Kaylin and Grace, along with Matt’s son Ross.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 0
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 1
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0