Mar 26, 2014, 11:31 AM EST
Matt Kenseth jokingly said almost two weeks ago that he had asked wife Katie to hold off on giving birth to their third child until the Monday after this weekend’s upcoming race Martinsville.
Clara Mae Kenseth had other ideas.
The Kenseths welcomed their third daughter into the world Tuesday night, five days before Sunday’s STP 500 Sprint Cup race at Martinsville Speedway – and almost a whole week ahead of when Matt hoped the blessed event would happen.
Clara Mae was born at 7:39 pm ET and weighed eight pounds and five ounces, according to a news release sent out Wednesday morning by Joe Gibbs Racing.
“Both mother and daughter are doing well,” the news release said.
Matt, who has had several drivers standing by for him the last three races in the event he had to hightail it back to North Carolina, is taking a few days off to be with his wife and the family’s newest addition, but will be back at Martinsville likely on Friday.
Clara Mae joins the couple’s other daughters, Kaylin and Grace, along with Matt’s son Ross.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Track executive arrested, charged with lewdness with 19-year-old 0
- Why Hendrick won’t retire the No. 24 6
- Brasilia IndyCar race is canceled 3
- Rick Hendrick: No pressure on Jeff Gordon in final season, he just has to win 14 races and championship 4
- Column: Chase Elliott’s promotion perfectly timed for NASCAR 11
- Chase Elliott will replace Jeff Gordon as No. 24 driver next season 5
- Truex’s girlfriend passes milestone in cancer recovery 0