Remembering Lynda Petty: The King’s Queen and a true Southern Lady

Mar 26, 2014, 12:54 AM EDT

LyndaPetty Getty Images

It’s very rare that you meet someone for the first time and come away feeling as if you’ve known him or her your whole life.

Lynda Petty was one of those rare persons. She was a true Southern Lady, with the L capitalized for the respect she commanded throughout not only NASCAR, but in daily life.

Her husband may be The King of NASCAR, but she was his Queen and the true strength behind the entire Petty clan, raising the couple’s four kids almost single-handedly while Richard was out running nearly 1,200 races – winning a record 200 of them as well as a record-tying seven championships.

But the biggest win of Richard’s life came off the race track: winning Lynda’s heart, living and loving together for more than 55 years of marriage, a real life Hallmark love story come true.

As I think back on the handful of times I interacted with her over the years, two instances came immediately to my mind when I first heard of Lynda Petty passing away Tuesday at the age of 72.

The first time I met her was about 11 or 12 years ago. I was part of a group that had been invited to tour the Petty compound in Level Cross, N.C. While others ventured into some of the shops where Petty racing history was made, I wandered over to the gift shop, looking for souvenirs for my kids.

As I walked around, I couldn’t help but soak in the aura, the mystique of what made Richard The King and the Petty name the biggest in NASCAR history. Then out of nowhere, a voice came from behind me, saying in one of the sweetest Southern drawls you’ll ever want to hear, “How y’all doin’ today, hon?”

I turned and there was this smiling woman who proceeded to ask me if I needed any help, adding, “My name’s Lynda. What’s yours?”

After I told her mine, I mentioned I was looking for a unique gift to take home. She offered several suggestions, not giving me the hard sell to buy something, but rather ideas on what she thought my kids would like.

We got to talking for a few minutes, but it seemed so much longer. We chatted about the weather, she asked where I was from, asked about my family and said she hoped I enjoyed my time at the Petty compound and thanked me for coming.

Honestly, I had no idea who it was I just had such a friendly conversation with. I thought she was just a Petty employee. I didn’t make the connection at the time of telling me her name was Lynda and where we were at.

When I finally got to the cash register, I offhandedly remarked to the cashier just how friendly her co-worker was. The cashier leaned over slightly, looked me in the eyes and said in a near-whisper, “Oh, that’s not my co-worker, that’s Lynda, Lynda Petty, Richard’s wife.”

I had just met the wife of the greatest champion and race winner in NASCAR history, and I didn’t have a clue. She was so unpretentious, so friendly, so down to earth.

That memory of just how nice Lynda was has forever stuck with me.

I would go on to meet her a few more times over the years, with Richard always at her side. She was as friendly and welcoming each time we exchanged pleasantries as the first time we met.

One of the last times I saw Lynda seems like yesterday, just a few days before the 2008 Daytona 500. Richard and I were part of a video interview.

Afterwards, The King ambled over to his car, a gleaming white Dodge Charger, and climbed in. Lynda had been sitting in the car the whole time during the interview, listening to the radio.

I went over one last time to thank The King for his time and engaged in a little chit chat about the Charger, regaling him with how I had bought a jet-black, Hemi-powered Charger just like his about six months earlier, how fast it was and how I felt it was the best car I had ever owned.

As Richard and I jibber-jabbered for a couple more minutes about horsepower, speed and performance of our respective Chargers, Lynda sat there quietly, smiling and nodding her head every now and then.

Just before Richard drove away, she laughed and quipped once again with that ever-so-sweet Southern drawl, “Oh, you boys and all your talk about fast cars.”

Then she softly and gently reached over, put her left hand on her husband’s right hand as he was about to shift the car into drive and said, “Come on, Richard, let’s go home. Y’all have a good night, boys.”

With that the Queen and her King drove away hand-in-hand down International Speedway Boulevard, ever the inseparable couple.

Lynda put up a courageous four-year fight with cancer. Despite the excruciating pain she went through and all the exhausting medical treatments she endured, she remained personable and friendly until the end. That was Lynda’s way.

They say that behind every good man is a good woman. Whoever came up with that saying must have known Lynda Petty, because she was as good a woman as they get.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Mark Miles: “We are not going to have a five-month season” in 2016

Jul 1, 2015, 5:53 PM EDT

Mark Miles Mark Miles

The CEO of IndyCar discussed the challenges of putting together an extended series schedule.

2. Here are your British Grand Prix air times on CNBC, NBCSN, Live Extra

Jul 1, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT

BritishGPtv Getty Images

TV times across the board for this weekend’s British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

3. Miles: After “two-sided pancake” Fontana race, IndyCar may crack down against stakeholder comments

Jul 1, 2015, 4:59 PM EDT

will power fontana 2015 getty Getty Images

Could penalties be coming to drivers who speak out about IndyCar’s on-track product? Mark Miles flips some pancakes on the possibility.

4. IndyCar issues penalties and fines following MAVTV 500 at Fontana

Jul 1, 2015, 4:03 PM EDT

California Speedway Getty Images

Will Power fined, put on probation after shoving safety official during Saturday’s race.

5. NHRA shakeup: Tom Compton retires as president, Peter Clifford named successor

Jul 1, 2015, 2:42 PM EDT

tom compton retires from nhra -- getty Getty Images

In a surprise move, the NHRA announced Wednesday that president Tom Compton has retired after 15 years as the sanctioning body’s chief executive officer

6. Pikes Peak International Hill Climb results under review

Jul 1, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT

RHYS MILLEN RHYS MILLEN

The provisional winner of the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb is Rhys Millen.

7. Ed Carpenter: driver criticism of IndyCar ‘confusing for fans’

Jul 1, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

The CFH Racing co-owner says IndyCar will never grow if “we’re tearing it apart from the inside out.”

8. Hawksworth: “I wouldn’t say it was crazy; it was exciting”

Jul 1, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT

HawkTMS Getty Images

One of A.J. Foyt’s young drivers makes some wiser points beyond his years about Saturday’s race in Fontana.

9. Royal Purple, Manpower to Horsepower program to be featured in Red Bull GRC this week

Jun 30, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT

Photo: Manpower to Horsepower Photo: Manpower to Horsepower

Feature on Manpower to Horsepower to air during Red Bull GRC show this Sunday on NBC.

10. F1 and classic machinery at Goodwood, 2015, in photos

Jun 30, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT

McLaren Formula One driver and 2009 World champion Jenson Button prepares to drive the ex Ayrton Senna McLaren MP4. Photo; Getty Images Getty Images

A selection of images from the 2015 Goodwood Festival of Speed.

11. Red Bull GRC: SH Rallycross premieres patriotic HAUS livery for MCAS

Jun 30, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Photo: SH Rallycross Photo: SH Rallycross

SH Rallycross’ HAUS livery for Red Bull GRC this weekend screams red, white and blue.

12. Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming

Jun 30, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT

RahalWinGroup Getty Images

Given how well they’ve run this year, it was really only a matter of time until Graham Rahal and Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing won a race.

13. Report: Filippi, Brabham set for IndyCar oval tests

Jun 30, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT

Josef Newgarden, Luca Filippi AP

Luca Filippi and Matthew Brabham set for oval tests this Wednesday at Iowa Speedway.

14. Young drivers star in mixed, primarily wet conditions at Watkins Glen

Jun 30, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT

BurkettWG Getty Images

This weekend’s miserable conditions at Watkins Glen offered a lot of young drivers a chance to shine.

15. Report: Roger Penske intends to keep his ‘four aces’ in IndyCar

Jun 29, 2015, 9:29 PM EDT

roger penske 2015 getty Getty Images

The 2015 season is the first time Roger Penske has captained four teams on the IndyCar circuit. And it appears it will be full steam ahead with four teams going forward.

16. Mario Andretti gets Jay Leno up to speed — and then some

Jun 29, 2015, 8:53 PM EDT

jay leno mario andretti getty 2015 Getty Images

Comedian and former late-night talk show host Jay Leno has spent his career making millions laugh. But recently, the joke was on Leno, so to speak – but in a good way.

17. Racing legend Parnelli Jones featured in upcoming Indy 500 film

Jun 29, 2015, 8:24 PM EDT

parnelli jones Getty Images

If you’re a big fan of the Indianapolis 500 and Indianapolis Motor Speedway, put this on your bucket list for next year.

18. NHRA: Antron Brown looks to make Top Fuel fireworks this weekend

Jun 29, 2015, 7:18 PM EDT

Antron Brown Getty Images

With five races coming up in the next six weeks, Top Fuel driver Antron Brown knows how crucial this stretch of the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing season will be.