Mar 27, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
Nico Rosberg is aiming to equal his father’s total of grand prix victories in Malaysia this weekend as the German driver looks to continue his good form following his win in Australia.
Rosberg claimed his fourth grand prix win of his F1 career at Albert Park with a dominant performance that saw him finish over 20 seconds ahead of second-placed Daniel Ricciardo. With this victory, he has moved to within one of his father’s tally.
Keke Rosberg holds the record for winning the least number of races in a season (one) but still winning the championship, which he claimed in the tenuous 1982 season. The Finn claimed his fifth and final win at the 1985 Australian Grand Prix, and retired at the end of the 1986 season following a successful eight year stint in the sport.
Although Nico has his father’s tally in sight, he insists that it’s not something he really thinks about.
“I understand that it’s interesting to make comparisons and that, and even I find it interesting,” he said. “After Australia, I read that he also won the first time at the first Australian GP, 29 years ago.
“It’s fun to read those things but I really don’t think about that. I don’t compare. I’m proud of what my father achieved but I’m just focused on my job and getting the most out of it and definitely, yes, I’m optimistic for the weekend and there is a possibility to win.”
Nico has a habit of following in his father’s footsteps. His win at last year’s Monaco Grand Prix came 30 years after Keke’s victory, and he will be hoping to claim the tenth grand prix victory for a Rosberg family member this weekend in Malaysia.
- WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 15
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1