Mar 29, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
The NASCAR contingent at Martinsville isn’t the only group of racers dealing with rain today.
A heavy storm this afternoon in the Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg region wound up forcing fans to seek shelter nearby and put today’s proceedings at the Verizon IndyCar Series’ Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg on hold.
Fortunately, it sounds like the worst may be over, as IndyCar has now confirmed that qualifying will take place later tonight at 5 p.m. ET.
And in another bit of good news, we’re happy to report that the #IndyCarSelfie has been born during this extended delay in St. Petersburg.
Now, the #NASCARSelfie that caught on recently during a rain delay at Bristol Motor Speedway saw multiple drivers take part in it, but for the most part separate from each other.
As for the IndyCar drivers, well…They’re bringing all the awesome together in one shot.
Not quite the entire starting grid, but still a pretty good chunk of it. Impressive.
- Power wins Verizon P1 Award in Detroit with new track record 1
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 5
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 8
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2