Mar 29, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
The NASCAR contingent at Martinsville isn’t the only group of racers dealing with rain today.
A heavy storm this afternoon in the Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg region wound up forcing fans to seek shelter nearby and put today’s proceedings at the Verizon IndyCar Series’ Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg on hold.
Fortunately, it sounds like the worst may be over, as IndyCar has now confirmed that qualifying will take place later tonight at 5 p.m. ET.
And in another bit of good news, we’re happy to report that the #IndyCarSelfie has been born during this extended delay in St. Petersburg.
Now, the #NASCARSelfie that caught on recently during a rain delay at Bristol Motor Speedway saw multiple drivers take part in it, but for the most part separate from each other.
As for the IndyCar drivers, well…They’re bringing all the awesome together in one shot.
Not quite the entire starting grid, but still a pretty good chunk of it. Impressive.
Video from NASCAR America
- Bubba Wallace pays homage to NASCAR Hall of Famer Wendell Scott with encore win at Martinsville 1
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 8
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1