Mar 29, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
The NASCAR contingent at Martinsville isn’t the only group of racers dealing with rain today.
A heavy storm this afternoon in the Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg region wound up forcing fans to seek shelter nearby and put today’s proceedings at the Verizon IndyCar Series’ Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg on hold.
Fortunately, it sounds like the worst may be over, as IndyCar has now confirmed that qualifying will take place later tonight at 5 p.m. ET.
And in another bit of good news, we’re happy to report that the #IndyCarSelfie has been born during this extended delay in St. Petersburg.
Now, the #NASCARSelfie that caught on recently during a rain delay at Bristol Motor Speedway saw multiple drivers take part in it, but for the most part separate from each other.
As for the IndyCar drivers, well…They’re bringing all the awesome together in one shot.
Not quite the entire starting grid, but still a pretty good chunk of it. Impressive.
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 1
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 15
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0