Mar 29, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
The World Endurance Championship seems to be suiting former F1 fan favorite Mark Webber just fine.
Webber, who completed a 12-year run on the Grand Prix circuit last year with Red Bull, has helped Porsche attain top honors in the WEC’s two-day preseason test known as the “Prologue.”
On Friday night at the Circuit Paul Ricard in France, The No. 20 Porsche 919 Hybrid team of Webber, Timo Bernhard and Brendon Hartley set what proved to be the quickest time of the Prologue – a lap of 1:41.289 with Hartley at the controls.
The No. 1 Audi R18 e-tron quattro of Lucas di Grassi, Loic Duval and Tom Kristensen, was quickest on Saturday but with a slower quick time of 1:43.017 that was set in the morning. The final, afternoon session of the Prologue was marked by strong winds and only eight cars took laps in that particular session.
Altogether, the two Porsche squads – the No. 20 and the No. 14 919 Hybrid for Romain Dumas, Neel Jani, and Marc Lieb – turned a total of 614 laps across the two-day run at Paul Ricard. Suffice to say, they were pleased.
“This test here was a big milestone,” Webber said in a statement. “To enter two cars for the first time was a tremendous amount of hard work for the crew on the operational side. Smooth running was a well-deserved award and a good tonic for the guys after a long week.
“Every day we run, we find more areas to improve, which is very encouraging. The track lay-out at Paul Ricard seems to suit our car very well. I’m curious to find out how we can perform in Silverstone.”
The WEC season begins at the venerable British track with a six-hour affair on Sunday, April 20th. The series will visit the U.S. once again at Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas later this fall.
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 2
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 11
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 24
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3