Mar 29, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
The rain continues to fall at Martinsville Speedway Saturday afternoon.
Earlier in the morning, the first of two scheduled Sprint Cup practices was cancelled due to the wet stuff.
Then, late Saturday morning, NASCAR officials cancelled qualifying for the Camping World Trucks Series.
Hopes are that the 250-lap Kroger 250 trucks race, scheduled for 2:30 pm ET, will still be able to take place.
Before that, the Sprint Cup drivers are scheduled to have their final Happy Hour practice from 1 pm ET to 1:50 pm ET, which at this writing is not looking promising.
With NCWTS qualifying cancelled, the grid for the field in Saturday’s hoped-for race was set by Friday’s first practice order (the second practice session was not a full session due to, what else, rain).
Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr., who won last October’s Trucks race at Martinsville — becoming only the second African-American driver to ever win a race in NASCAR’s three marquee series, and the first in nearly 50 years after Wendell Scott won at Jacksonville, Fla., in 1964 — will start from the pole because he was fastest in Friday morning’s first practice.
Here’s the starting grid for Saturday afternoon’s Kroger 250 at Martinsville Speedway — if the rain stops, that is:
Row 1 Darrell Wallace Jr, Ryan Blaney
Row 8 Chase Pistone, John Wes Townley
Row 10 Mason Mingus, John Hunter Nemecheck
Row 15 Ray Black Jr., Raymond Terczak Jr.
Row 16 Justin Jennings, Josh Williams
Row 17 Travis Kvapil, Korbin Forrister
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Cole Custer sails to first career ARCA win at Pocono, 9th first-time winner in series in 2015 0
- Dixon crushes lap record to score pole in Mid-Ohio (VIDEO) 1
- Johansson: Haas has done its homework ahead of F1 entry 0
- Dixon quickest with unofficial lap record in final practice at Mid-Ohio 0
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 1
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 2
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 1