Mar 29, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
The rain continues to fall at Martinsville Speedway Saturday afternoon.
Earlier in the morning, the first of two scheduled Sprint Cup practices was cancelled due to the wet stuff.
Then, late Saturday morning, NASCAR officials cancelled qualifying for the Camping World Trucks Series.
Hopes are that the 250-lap Kroger 250 trucks race, scheduled for 2:30 pm ET, will still be able to take place.
Before that, the Sprint Cup drivers are scheduled to have their final Happy Hour practice from 1 pm ET to 1:50 pm ET, which at this writing is not looking promising.
With NCWTS qualifying cancelled, the grid for the field in Saturday’s hoped-for race was set by Friday’s first practice order (the second practice session was not a full session due to, what else, rain).
Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr., who won last October’s Trucks race at Martinsville — becoming only the second African-American driver to ever win a race in NASCAR’s three marquee series, and the first in nearly 50 years after Wendell Scott won at Jacksonville, Fla., in 1964 — will start from the pole because he was fastest in Friday morning’s first practice.
Here’s the starting grid for Saturday afternoon’s Kroger 250 at Martinsville Speedway — if the rain stops, that is:
Row 1 Darrell Wallace Jr, Ryan Blaney
Row 8 Chase Pistone, John Wes Townley
Row 10 Mason Mingus, John Hunter Nemecheck
Row 15 Ray Black Jr., Raymond Terczak Jr.
Row 16 Justin Jennings, Josh Williams
Row 17 Travis Kvapil, Korbin Forrister
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 0
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 3
- Hamilton delighted after claiming 40th career pole (VIDEO) 2
- Hamilton tames wet conditions to grab pole in Malaysia 2
- Rosberg closes out Malaysian GP practice fastest 0