Mar 29, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
The rain continues to fall at Martinsville Speedway Saturday afternoon.
Earlier in the morning, the first of two scheduled Sprint Cup practices was cancelled due to the wet stuff.
Then, late Saturday morning, NASCAR officials cancelled qualifying for the Camping World Trucks Series.
Hopes are that the 250-lap Kroger 250 trucks race, scheduled for 2:30 pm ET, will still be able to take place.
Before that, the Sprint Cup drivers are scheduled to have their final Happy Hour practice from 1 pm ET to 1:50 pm ET, which at this writing is not looking promising.
With NCWTS qualifying cancelled, the grid for the field in Saturday’s hoped-for race was set by Friday’s first practice order (the second practice session was not a full session due to, what else, rain).
Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr., who won last October’s Trucks race at Martinsville — becoming only the second African-American driver to ever win a race in NASCAR’s three marquee series, and the first in nearly 50 years after Wendell Scott won at Jacksonville, Fla., in 1964 — will start from the pole because he was fastest in Friday morning’s first practice.
Here’s the starting grid for Saturday afternoon’s Kroger 250 at Martinsville Speedway — if the rain stops, that is:
Row 1 Darrell Wallace Jr, Ryan Blaney
Row 8 Chase Pistone, John Wes Townley
Row 10 Mason Mingus, John Hunter Nemecheck
Row 15 Ray Black Jr., Raymond Terczak Jr.
Row 16 Justin Jennings, Josh Williams
Row 17 Travis Kvapil, Korbin Forrister
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 1
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 3
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2