Mar 29, 2014, 4:01 AM EDT
The start to qualifying for the Malaysian Grand Prix has been delayed due to a heavy rain shower that has hit the Sepang International Circuit on Saturday afternoon.
Around 40 minutes before qualifying was scheduled to get underway at 4am ET, heavy rain began to fall at the circuit, and has not since eased. With the race being held in monsoon season, such weather in Malaysia is not uncommon.
In 2009, the race had to be red flagged due to the weather, with a result being declared early and half points being awarded as the drivers were unable to get racing again.
With the rain continuing to fall, more delays could be required to allow the weather to improve so that the drivers can safely get out on track.
0400 – Qualifying is currently scheduled to start at 0415, with the next update coming at 0405.
0405 – Qualifying has been delayed by a further 15 minutes. New scheduled start is 0430 ET. Next update at 0420.
0420 - Another 15 minute delay, meaning that the new start time is 0445 ET. Next update at 0435.
0435 - Another delay, but only 5 minutes this time. Planned start is 0450. The rain has stopped falling.
0445 – FIA confirms that qualifying will begin at 0450 ET.
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 1
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 1
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 3
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10