Mar 29, 2014, 4:01 AM EDT
The start to qualifying for the Malaysian Grand Prix has been delayed due to a heavy rain shower that has hit the Sepang International Circuit on Saturday afternoon.
Around 40 minutes before qualifying was scheduled to get underway at 4am ET, heavy rain began to fall at the circuit, and has not since eased. With the race being held in monsoon season, such weather in Malaysia is not uncommon.
In 2009, the race had to be red flagged due to the weather, with a result being declared early and half points being awarded as the drivers were unable to get racing again.
With the rain continuing to fall, more delays could be required to allow the weather to improve so that the drivers can safely get out on track.
0400 – Qualifying is currently scheduled to start at 0415, with the next update coming at 0405.
0405 – Qualifying has been delayed by a further 15 minutes. New scheduled start is 0430 ET. Next update at 0420.
0420 - Another 15 minute delay, meaning that the new start time is 0445 ET. Next update at 0435.
0435 - Another delay, but only 5 minutes this time. Planned start is 0450. The rain has stopped falling.
0445 – FIA confirms that qualifying will begin at 0450 ET.
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 1
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 3
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2