Mar 30, 2014, 1:57 PM EST
Team Penske’s Brad Keselowski has sustained a major setback early on in today’s STP 500 at Martinsville Speedway that put him in the garage for a short time.
During yellow-flag pit stops under the Lap 40 competition caution, Keselowski and Kurt Busch were behind Kasey Kahne as he was making his way into his stall. That forced Keselowski to check up and Busch then clipped Keselowski, inflicting serious front-end damage to the former Sprint Cup champion’s No. 2 Ford Fusion.
Martinsville’s pit road, which features the smallest pit boxes in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, is notoriously tight and incidents such as these are far from uncommon. Keselowski noted this in his comments to Fox Sports, but then pointed the finger of blame at “The Outlaw.”
“Typical Martinsville stuff – it’s Lap 50 and everybody’s got to give and take on the race track and on pit road,” he vented. “The 5 car was pitting in the stall in front of me…I saw him checking up and I started to check up and I barely got in the back of him.
“And then, Kurt just accelerated and drove through us – absolutely drove through us. I tell ya, man, I’m about tired of his recklessness…Kurt tore the whole suspension off the car, so it won’t turn, won’t do anything. So, thanks Kurt, thanks a lot.”
Keselowski would return to the race on Lap 77 but with the entire front end bodywork of his car gone. He came back at 31 laps off the pace and shortly after he hit the track, he rubbed against Busch in frustration before letting him go past into Turn 3.
Video from NASCAR America
- Sprint Cup champ Kevin Harvick: “I’m as comfortable as I’ve ever been” 0
- Danica Patrick enters final year of contract but wants to stay at Stewart-Haas 13
- Start times for 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races 9
- Bowyer on Gordon: “You’re never good with somebody when it got that ugly” 25
- NASCAR considers unveiling 2016 rules at Sprint All-Star Race in May 2
- Kyle Busch says Toyota teams are “idiots” by not working close together 20
- Brian France: State of NASCAR is in a good place and getting better 6