Mar 30, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
Team Penske’s Brad Keselowski has sustained a major setback early on in today’s STP 500 at Martinsville Speedway that put him in the garage for a short time.
During yellow-flag pit stops under the Lap 40 competition caution, Keselowski and Kurt Busch were behind Kasey Kahne as he was making his way into his stall. That forced Keselowski to check up and Busch then clipped Keselowski, inflicting serious front-end damage to the former Sprint Cup champion’s No. 2 Ford Fusion.
Martinsville’s pit road, which features the smallest pit boxes in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, is notoriously tight and incidents such as these are far from uncommon. Keselowski noted this in his comments to Fox Sports, but then pointed the finger of blame at “The Outlaw.”
“Typical Martinsville stuff – it’s Lap 50 and everybody’s got to give and take on the race track and on pit road,” he vented. “The 5 car was pitting in the stall in front of me…I saw him checking up and I started to check up and I barely got in the back of him.
“And then, Kurt just accelerated and drove through us – absolutely drove through us. I tell ya, man, I’m about tired of his recklessness…Kurt tore the whole suspension off the car, so it won’t turn, won’t do anything. So, thanks Kurt, thanks a lot.”
Keselowski would return to the race on Lap 77 but with the entire front end bodywork of his car gone. He came back at 31 laps off the pace and shortly after he hit the track, he rubbed against Busch in frustration before letting him go past into Turn 3.
- Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming 0
- Report: Roger Penske intends to keep his ‘four aces’ in IndyCar 0
- Mario Andretti gets Jay Leno up to speed — and then some 1
- NHRA: Antron Brown looks to make Top Fuel fireworks this weekend 1
- MAVTV 500: Despite being nerve-racking to crazy, drivers glad safety won out 2
- WATCH: IndyCar’s frantic, thrilling MAVTV 500 to re-air at midnight ET on NBCSN 6
- Nelson Piquet Jr crowned first ever FIA Formula E champion in thrilling London finale 1