Mar 30, 2014, 3:55 AM EDT
Ahead of today’s Malaysian Grand Prix, the Formula 1 paddock has held one minute of silence in honor of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, which disappeared 22 days ago whilst en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur.
With Malaysia’s focus lying mainly with the search for the missing airline, the sport has arrived at a tough period in the nation’s history and is looking to provide some light at a very dark time.
All of the teams and drivers are carrying tributes to the airline and its 239 passengers on their helmets and cars, showing the support that the sport is looking to provide at this time.
As part of the pre-race programme race on Sunday, one minute of silence was held before the Malaysian national anthem in honor of the passengers and crew that were on board flight MH370.
A number of concerts and events that had been planned in Kuala Lumpur as part of the Formula 1 programme were cancelled earlier this week as the nation continues to mourn in the wake of the flight’s disappearance.
“Our thoughts are with those who are missing, their loved ones and the tireless rescue workers,” an announcer said to the fans. “In their honor, the Prime Minister of Malaysia and the chairman of F1 Bernie Ecclestone and the teams will now lead a one minute silence.”
Following the minute’s silence, the Malaysian national anthem rang out over Sepang, with the national flag held at half mast.
Speaking earlier this week, Sepang International Circuit CEO Dato Razlan Razali said: “The Formula One fraternity recognizes and sympathizes with what we’re all going through.”
— MERCEDES AMG F1 (@MercedesAMGF1) March 30, 2014
- NASCAR AMERICA: Matt Kenseth confident as Loudon looms (VIDEO) 0
- Singapore GP, Red Bull GRC highlight weekend’s NBC motorsports coverage 0
- NASCAR: Richard Petty Motorsports committed to two-car program in 2015 5
- NASCAR: STANLEY, DEWALT join JGR in 2015 4
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 25