Massa: No regrets over ignoring team orders (VIDEO)

Mar 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Felipe Massa¬†showed no signs of remorse or regret after ignoring team orders and refusing to allow teammate Valtteri Bottas to pass him during today’s Malaysian Grand Prix.

The Brazilian driver finished the race in seventh place, but he was given the call with five laps to go to allow Bottas past, as Williams believed that the Finn had a better chance than Massa of catching and passing Jenson Button for sixth.

Despite two calls over the radio, Massa refused to let him past, and explained to NBCSN’s Will Buxton after the race that it was the right thing to do.

“I will always try to do the best I can for the team,” he said. “I will carry on like that.”

This harked back to Ferrari’s infamous call for Massa to move aside during the 2010 German Grand Prix and hand the race victory to Fernando Alonso, which sparked fury in the Formula 1 world. However, the Brazilian driver does not see this as being a similar incident, and even laughed when the comparison was made.

The result did see Massa pick up his first points for Williams, having joined the team from Ferrari in the winter.

1. crunge4461 - Mar 30, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Good for you Felipe! Williams is my favorite F1 team, but come on you are going to bring in a veteran like Massa who just got out of a long run of being a ‘number two pull over for you teammate guy’ and in the second race you will ask him to pull over for some young driver that has never won a race? Good for you Felipe, I’d of done the same thing and I am sure he was biting his tongue not to emphasize with some explicit language!

• worknman24hours - Mar 30, 2014 at 6:26 PM

What you said times a million.

I still wished Felipe had ignored team orders at Hungary the day he was to win the race after almost getting killed there the year before.

Fernando still did’nt win a championship that year-what a gut wrenching way to be treated.

Might be Felipe’s last season in formula One but it will be one he will be remembered for -for all the right reasons.

Way to go, Felipe!

• crunge4461 - Mar 31, 2014 at 1:17 PM

I feel the need to comment once more. I just can’t believe that Williams asked Massa to pull over so Bottas might have a chance for 6th place, wasn’t like it was for the championship lead or sometime. Massa is a team player, always has been, in terms of ego and so forth he is one of the nice guys of the sport. It just amazes me that Williams would treat him like this, especially knowing the past.

2. bikingscr016 - Mar 30, 2014 at 3:12 PM

No regrets, for now. But if Bottas was that much quicker, I certainly didn’t see the pace.

3. mcseforsale - Mar 31, 2014 at 11:16 AM

I didn’t see Bottas’ pace, either. He may have had the pace for the first few laps of his stint, but he def wasted the tires while Massa kept keeping on. Good for you Massa! Finally, I can cheer for Williams again.

Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches