Mar 30, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Will Power is looking to continue his hot finish to 2013 into the new Verizon IndyCar Series season, and is leading what has been, so far, a caution-free Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.
Pole sitter Takuma Sato kept Ryan Hunter-Reay in his rear view mirror during the opening stint and was able to return to the lead after the first round of pit stops for the leaders took place under green.
But when the cycle was over, Power was in his rear view mirrors and on Lap 31, the Aussie made his move. Using one of his push-to-pass boosts, Power set up Sato down the front stretch but went on the outside of the ex-Formula One racer in Turn 1.
The two went side-by-side through the corner, but Sato couldn’t hold on the inside of Turn 2 and Power took the lead for the fifth consecutive race at St. Petersburg.
Meanwhile, Sato was forced to battle for second with Helio Castroneves, who has made steady headway in the first half after starting 10th at the green. Also running strong were Dale Coyne Racing’s Justin Wilson, who rose into the Top 5 during the second stint after starting 16th, and Ed Carpenter Racing’s road/street racer, Mike Conway.
Power pitted from the lead at Lap 52 and came out in third behind Sato and Scott Dixon, but moved to second upon Dixon pitting at Lap 56. Sato would stretch his fuel load to Lap 57 (making for a 30 lap stint) before pitting and giving the lead back to Power.
With the cycle complete at Lap 60, Power’s lead over Castroneves sits at 9.1 seconds. Hunter-Reay is in third place, followed by Conway in fourth and Sato now settling in fifth.
Video from NASCAR America
- Mercedes drivers “remain free to race” following meeting today 0
- With nothing to lose, IndyCar title contender Pagenaud charges into Fontana 0
- Tony Stewart’s return to NASCAR may be one of hardest things he’s ever done 21
- Tony Stewart to return to race at Atlanta this weekend 20
- Team Penske on verge of ending 8-year IndyCar title drought 0
- IndyCar title quest continues for Helio Castroneves 0
- Could Tony Stewart return to race this weekend at Atlanta? 15