Mar 30, 2014, 3:45 AM EDT
Formula 1 arrives in Malaysia at a difficult time in the nation’s history following the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight 370 22 days ago, but the sport is looking to entertain at a difficult time in Kuala Lumpur.
Albeit with reduced fanfare, the race weekend has gone ahead as normal, and Lewis Hamilton was the man to watch on Saturday as he took pole position in a wet qualifying session for the Malaysian Grand Prix. After a delayed start to proceedings due to the weather, the 2008 world champion managed to tame the tricky conditions and equal Jim Clark’s record for pole positions by a British driver.
However, with Sebastian Vettel qualifying an excellent second and Australian Grand Prix winner Nico Rosberg looming in third place, Hamilton may face a fight if he is to win his first Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang today.
Following qualifying, there has been just one change made to the starting grid following qualifying:
- Valtteri Bottas has been handed a three place grid penalty after the stewards deemed that he blocked Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo during Q2 yesterday. The Finn also received two points on his FIA superlicense, and became the first driver to fall foul of this new rule.
For full details on watching the Malaysian Grand Prix live with NBCSN and Live Extra, click here.
Starting grid for the 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix
1. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull
3. Nico Rosberg Mercedes
4. Fernando Alonso Ferrari
5. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull
6. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari
7. Nico Hulkenberg Force India
8. Kevin Magnussen McLaren
9. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso
10. Jenson Button McLaren
11. Danill Kvyat Toro Rosso
12. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber
13. Felipe Massa Williams
14. Sergio Perez Force India
15. Romain Grosjean Lotus
16. Pastor Maldonado Lotus
17. Adrian Sutil Sauber
18. Valtteri Bottas Williams
19. Jules Bianchi Marussia
20. Kamui Kobayashi Caterham
21. Max Chilton Marussia
22. Marcus Ericsson Caterham
- Bubba Wallace pays homage to NASCAR Hall of Famer Wendell Scott with encore win at Martinsville 1
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 8
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1