Apr 1, 2014, 3:29 PM EDT
After a one-year trial sponsorship with Hendrick Motorsports, sporting goods giant Under Armour has inked multi-year sponsorship deals with both Hendrick and Michael Waltrip Racing as it officially moves deeper into the NASCAR world.
According to Tripp Mickle of SportsBusiness Journal, the deals will not include the teams’ drivers but in the case of Hendrick, UA can use the likenesses, cars, and numbers for that team’s quartet of racers: Six-time Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson, current Cup points leader Dale Earnhardt Jr., four-time Cup champion Jeff Gordon, and Kasey Kahne.
In addition to sponsoring the teams, UA will also outfit them as well – from those working in the pits to those within their respective front offices.
The Hendrick deal is actually a three-year extension, while the MWR deal is a two-year pact. UA will also sponsor MWR’s new athletic facility and gym at its North Carolina headquarters.
UA already has a sizable portfolio of clients across many sports, from college football programs to U.S. Olympic Team members. But the Baltimore-based company is now making its way into NASCAR in a bid to not only raise awareness and sales of its athletic line of apparel but its outdoor/hunting line as well.
Mickle reports that in addition to tapping into NASCAR’s passionate fan base as a whole, UA officials were spurred on by “a general sense” that NASCAR fans tended to enjoy the Great Outdoors through hunting and fishing more than other sports fans – which could give them a prime marketing opportunity with their outdoor products.
- Power steals final pole of IndyCar’s 2015 season with new track record at Sonoma 2
- Oriol Servia reflects on his friend Justin Wilson, as he races No. 25 car at Sonoma (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5