Apr 1, 2014, 3:29 PM EDT
After a one-year trial sponsorship with Hendrick Motorsports, sporting goods giant Under Armour has inked multi-year sponsorship deals with both Hendrick and Michael Waltrip Racing as it officially moves deeper into the NASCAR world.
According to Tripp Mickle of SportsBusiness Journal, the deals will not include the teams’ drivers but in the case of Hendrick, UA can use the likenesses, cars, and numbers for that team’s quartet of racers: Six-time Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson, current Cup points leader Dale Earnhardt Jr., four-time Cup champion Jeff Gordon, and Kasey Kahne.
In addition to sponsoring the teams, UA will also outfit them as well – from those working in the pits to those within their respective front offices.
The Hendrick deal is actually a three-year extension, while the MWR deal is a two-year pact. UA will also sponsor MWR’s new athletic facility and gym at its North Carolina headquarters.
UA already has a sizable portfolio of clients across many sports, from college football programs to U.S. Olympic Team members. But the Baltimore-based company is now making its way into NASCAR in a bid to not only raise awareness and sales of its athletic line of apparel but its outdoor/hunting line as well.
Mickle reports that in addition to tapping into NASCAR’s passionate fan base as a whole, UA officials were spurred on by “a general sense” that NASCAR fans tended to enjoy the Great Outdoors through hunting and fishing more than other sports fans – which could give them a prime marketing opportunity with their outdoor products.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52