Apr 2, 2014, 10:51 AM EST
After a winter of frustration and working to gather a full-time ride on either side of the pond, sponsorship pending, American Conor Daly has done enough from his two preseason tests with the Venezuela GP Lazarus to earn the team’s slot to race in this weekend’s GP2 Series season opener in Bahrain. He’ll race alongside teammate Nathaniel Berthon.
Daly posted a picture to his Instagram page last night that seemed to confirm he would be en route to Bahrain.
Then this morning, he along with Axcil Jefferies, a two-time Indy Lights starter and Jon Lancaster, who was quick at the series’ most recent Bahrain test, were confirmed as the final three drivers in the field via the official GP2 Series Twitter account.
— GP2 Series Official (@GP2_Official) April 2, 2014
Daly made a single weekend GP2 start in 2013, at Malaysia. He joins fellow American Alexander Rossi on the grid; Rossi drives for Caterham. The two were quick on the first day of testing in Bahrain.
Here’s a breakdown of the full field for the 2014 season opener:
- RT Russian Time: 1-Mitch Evans (NZ), 2-Artem Markelov (RUS)
- Carlin: 3-Felipe Nasr (BRZ), 4-Julian Leal (COL)
- Racing Engineering: 5-Raffaele Marciello (ITA), 6-Stefano Coletti (MON)
- DAMS: 7-Jolyon Palmer (GB), 8-Stephane Richelmi (MON)
- ART Grand Prix: 9-Takuya Izawa (JPN), 10-Stoffel Vandoorne (BEL)
- Hilmer Motorsport: 11-Daniel Abt (GER), 12-Facu Regalia (ARG)
- Rapax: 14-Adrian Quaife-Hobbs (GB), 15-Simon Trummer (SUI)
- Arden International: 16-Rene Binder (AUT), 17-Andre Negrao (BRZ)
- EQ8 Caterham Racing: 18-Rio Haryanto (MON), 19-Alexander Rossi (USA)
- MP Motorsport: 20-Daniel De Jong (NED), 21-Jon Lancaster (GB)
- Trident: 22-Axcil Jefferies (ZIM), 23-Johnny Cecotto Jr. (VEN)
- Venezuela GP Lazarus: 24-Nathaniel Berthon (FRA), 25-Conor Daly (USA)
- Campos Racing: 26-Arthur Pic (FRA), 27-Kimiya Sato (JPN)
The GP2 Series’ Bahrain round will air on NBCSN on Friday, April 11, at 1:30 a.m. ET.
Video from NASCAR America
- F1 2014 Review: Stories of the Season 0
- Toro Rosso confirms Carlos Sainz Jr. for 2015 F1 season 1
- F1 2014 Driver Review: Lewis Hamilton 0
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 12
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 3