Apr 2, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT
Remember the Knight Rider series in the 1980s, with pre-Baywatch David Hasselhoff – or as we like to call him, “Da Hoff”?
While Da Hoff was billed as the star of the series, everyone knows the REAL star was KITT, the black Firebird that seemed to have every high tech gadget known to man.
And now Hasselhoff has put up his own personal version of KITT up for auction (well, let’s clarify that – a fan, Jennifer Catano, built it from the ground up and then gave it to the actor as a gift).
Ergo, while it’s not one of the original cars you saw in the series, it was Da Hoff’s, nonetheless. And it is a virtual double for the original KITT, with one exception: it doesn’t have the famous – or infamous, depending on your perspective – Turbo Boost that the real KITT had.
But it does have everything else you’d expect from KITT, including scissor doors, yoke steering wheel, all the cool exterior lighting you’d come to expect and a custom digital dashboard.
Oh, and we can’t forget to mention that the car carries a custom soundboard that has over 4,000 sound clips from the show – you know, the various things KITT said in its hokey British accent.
Still, the likely price tag isn’t really all that out of reach – certainly not Barrett-Jackson out of reach, for sure.
The auction for the 1986 Pontiac is starting at only $15,000, with an estimated selling price expected to fetch somewhere between $30,000 and $50,000.
Talk about a collector’s car, not to mention a conversation piece.
Oh, and while you’re at it, check out some of the other goodies up for bidding, like Lot 450 – an oversized lifeguard figure model of Da Hoff, starting at just $10k. Just think, you can get Da Hoff’s car and then a lifelike model of him to sit next to you in the passenger seat!
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- WATCH LIVE: Malaysian GP live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 2:30a ET 0
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 0
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 3
- Hamilton delighted after claiming 40th career pole (VIDEO) 2
- Hamilton tames wet conditions to grab pole in Malaysia 2