Apr 2, 2014, 6:53 PM EST
Not only did Sunday mark just the second time in National Hot Rod Association history that two females won a national event in their respective race classes in the same weekend, the sport also inched closer to setting yet another milestone.
Alexis DeJoria’s second career Funny Car win – and second in the last three races – along with Erica Enders-Stevens’ seventh career Pro Stock triumph leaves just two more wins before female drivers hit the 100 career wins mark in NHRA national events.
DeJoria’s and Enders-Stevens’ increased the number to 98 in the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series heading into the April 11-13 NHRA Four-Wide Nationals at zMax Dragway in suburban Charlotte, N.C.
Pro Stock Motorcycle rider Angelle Sampey leads the list with 41 national event wins, followed by Top Fuel legend Shirley Muldowney’s 18 wins.
With her seventh national event win at Las Vegas this past Sunday Enders-Stevens moved into third on the all-time female wins list.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Check out the highlights from this past Sunday’s race at Las Vegas, including DeJoria’s and Enders-Stevens’ wins.
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 1
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1