Apr 2, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
Not only did Sunday mark just the second time in National Hot Rod Association history that two females won a national event in their respective race classes in the same weekend, the sport also inched closer to setting yet another milestone.
Alexis DeJoria’s second career Funny Car win – and second in the last three races – along with Erica Enders-Stevens’ seventh career Pro Stock triumph leaves just two more wins before female drivers hit the 100 career wins mark in NHRA national events.
DeJoria’s and Enders-Stevens’ increased the number to 98 in the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series heading into the April 11-13 NHRA Four-Wide Nationals at zMax Dragway in suburban Charlotte, N.C.
Pro Stock Motorcycle rider Angelle Sampey leads the list with 41 national event wins, followed by Top Fuel legend Shirley Muldowney’s 18 wins.
With her seventh national event win at Las Vegas this past Sunday Enders-Stevens moved into third on the all-time female wins list.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Check out the highlights from this past Sunday’s race at Las Vegas, including DeJoria’s and Enders-Stevens’ wins.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 89
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 4
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 14
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1